mysoulev

Re: The origin of the 'B' mode setting.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 am

JejuSoul wrote:Here's an example of what I'd like to see.
One of the steering wheel buttons is labelled 'mode'. It has a little steering wheel icon.
When pushed it adjusts the steering wheel setting from 'normal -> comfort -> sport.

If however this was the 'regen' button. When pushed it adjusts the regen setting from 'level 0' -> 'level 1' -> 'level 2'
This is all software controlled. Every year or so an update tweaks the settings so we get extra levels.

or use the ECO switch behind the parking brake switch, it actually has dots on it so you don't even have to look down to find it.

cycle between D, D with ECO, B
that would give you 3 levels of regen.
Andy - SoulEV
"But in our enthusiasm, we could not resist a radical overhaul of the system, in which all of its major weaknesses have been exposed, analyzed, and replaced with new weaknesses." BL - Register Allocation in Optimizing Compilers

JejuSoul

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:10 pm

-
There's an excellent DIY video on how to upgrade your gearstick on a Peugeot EV by KiwiEV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwsHidbzfmw

Starting with this

He adds B mode and C mode. (Level 2 regen and level 0 regen)

Note - He did wait until the car was out of warranty before doing this. Am hoping that in 5 years time there will be some easy DIY option to upgrade our car's regen.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JejuSoul

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:55 am

-
I started this thread by remarking how the 'B' mode setting had its origin in hybrid vehicles.
The most recent post showed an i Miev which had both a 'B', and a 'C' mode.

I had assumed that the 'C' mode was for coasting and that this mode would offer no regen.
On an ICE car coasting and gliding are the same. You can push down the clutch and just roll.
That is my assumption about coasting. There is no regen.

But the two terms coasting and gliding got separated in hybrid vehicles. from https://priuschat.com/threads/coasting- ... ng.129796/
Coast: no pressure on either accelerator or brake. In this mode, there is regenerative braking taking place naturally.
Glide: No arrows. This requires the foot on the accelerator in order to avoid engaging Coast or acceleration.

Coasting in EVs is now assumed to be deceleration that occurs with some regen.
Gliding is the term for no regen.
The 'C' mode on the i Miev turns out to be a low regen mode, not a zero regen mode.

This is another legacy from the hybrid era that I hope gets forgotten as we transition to electric only driving. For me coasting and gliding will always be the same.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JejuSoul

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:39 pm

There's an interesting article on one-pedal driving in green car reports.- What IS 'one-pedal driving' in an electric car?

Clearly the author places great importance on the ability to come to a complete stop and avoid 'creep', rather than the ability to vary the amount of regen. (The BMW i 3 has the same strong regen in all modes). I have the opposite view. It is why I prefer the regen settings in the I oniq to the B olt. In the I oniq you can easily set the level of regen using the paddles. This includes level zero - gliding. The B olt regen gets stronger the longer you hold the regen-on-demand switch in.

Here's a great graphic comparing the B olt's regen paddle with the I oniq's 4 modes.

JejuSoul

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:09 am

JejuSoul wrote:The 'B' mode setting on the Soul EV gear stick is an awful design decision, ... Hopefully the next generation of Kia EV's will lose the 'B' mode too.

Looks like I will be in luck. Kia must have read this thread.

Kia N iro EV concept, 2018 Consumer Electronics Show

JejuSoul

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:53 am

-
Great news. The Auto - Regen feature from the K ona Electric is also in the N iro EV.
This means it will almost certainly be in the next version of the Soul EV.
We can say goodbye to the 'B' mode setting.

Here's the best video I've seen so far explaining how this setting works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DPGl8NE8LQ

-

Return to “Technical Discussions”