Stuck Charging Plug

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EV2016

Has anyone had the plug from their charger get stuck in the charging port? Mine is and I can't seem to be able to convince it to come out no matter how hard I try. The plug is on my GE Wattstation and had been working fine. It slightly hung up once but since I thought I'd locked the doors after plugging in I unlocked the door and between that and a little light tugging it came out. I didn't think anything about it but when I plugged it in again it decided not to come back out. I've tried locking, unlocking, opening the doors to INSURE that it wasn't locked, starting the car, as much as it can be with the cord plugged in and nothing has worked. The button on the charging plug can not be depressed. At this point I'm not really sure if it's the plug itself or the car not letting go.

So has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions for the next safest step. I thought about trying to release the handle by lifting the catch with a small screwdriver but I wasn't positive that there isn't any voltage at the plug, with the charger breaker turned off of course.

thank you.

If you look all the way back of the J1772 connector on the car, you will see a white tab that protrudes from the top of the connector to keep the latch from going up. When you lock/unlock the door, do you see it go in all way? You can do a manual release if its stuck.

I'll have to get my face a little closer with a good light and see. How do you do a manual release if I need to? I can check the manual but it's in the car that's still covered in snow. Thanks for the information.

There is a round cover, right above the socket, in the plastic cover over the radiator area. It has a notch in it which will accept a coin so you can turn it to remove the cover. Note the writing on it indicating locked/unlocked. Under this cover is a lever with a round end on it. Swing it to the back, IIRC, and it will retract the white pin that holds the charging plug release. You can also use a flat blade screwdriver or similar instrument to push the pin in. All the electrical contacts are fully covered so there is no chance of getting a shock.

So it turned out that there was nothing wrong with the car. Everything was locking and un-locking like it should. The thumb button on the handle of the charger was getting stuck. I was able to use a clamp and press firmly until it released. I'm not going to use the charger again until they send me a new one.

Thanks for your help.

Back