mysoulev

Re: Brakes seized on new Soul EV after 10 months

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:09 am

CarnationSoulEV wrote:I too have had trouble with my parking brake. It was making noise (the whale song sound) while in reverse. Called dealer and he thought dust on the brakes making noise. We live on a dirt road so sounded reasonable. Took my Soul (2016 bought used) to get seat heater repaired and asked to have parking brake checked. The parking brake had not been releasing completely so I had been driving with it partially engaged. This damaged the rotors. Dealer said it was not a warranty issue because my 12volt battery was out of warranty and low which caused the parking brake to not completely disengage. If this is correct - stupid design. I could still hear the parking brake engage and disengage like normal when it was supposedly not completely released. How would I know when the battery is low and not completely releasing the parking brake? I guess I will have to pay attention to any unusual noise when backing up. Waiting on an answer to this question from Kia. Posted only to have this info online for others.

Any update from KIA?

my MY16 SoulEV has been making that whaling noise when backing up for over a year as well. When i told the service guy at the dealership he said it was "normal". I also mentioned the clicking noise from braking at slower speed (like just before coming to a stop) and the answer was "normal" as well.
Andy - SoulEV
"But in our enthusiasm, we could not resist a radical overhaul of the system, in which all of its major weaknesses have been exposed, analyzed, and replaced with new weaknesses." BL - Register Allocation in Optimizing Compilers

CarnationSoulEV

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 am

I called Kia after not getting a response after 1 week from my email which was assigned a case number. I was told they cannot contact Kia directly to get the answer regarding the 12V battery effecting the parking brake failing to disengage. The CSR told me that I should call or go to another dealer or two and get a second opinion to check if the low 12V battery can cause issues. She said they are the experts that talk to Kia directly for any service repair help. Since I bought my EV used, I wasn't as familiar with the car from the beginning and the change in how it was driving. I did call the dealer and ask about the noise a couple months before taking it in and was told it was probably dust on the brakes. What I have noticed since the repair is when I back up now there is no noise and the car rolls freely in reverse once I take my foot off the brake. Before the repair, I needed to press the gas pedal before the car would roll out of the garage. I've noticed the same thing going forward too. The car rolls easier forward than before once I remove my foot from the brake. I plan on following up further but I'm short on time at the moment and the dealers are 45min away. Big hassle. I will definitely pay attention to any noise I hear backing up and follow up immediately. Also, I hear a clicking noise at the front of the car while braking. It has done that since I bought the car and I thought it was normal.

Oinq

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:38 am

notfred wrote:
CarnationSoulEV wrote:Dealer said it was not a warranty issue because my 12volt battery was out of warranty and low which caused the parking brake to not completely disengage.
That is rubbish. When the car is turned on the DC/DC converter will be providing 12V power to charge the 12V battery and run all the 12V electrics including the parking brake. A low 12v battery will only affect things like lock/unlock and the initial turning on of the car. Once the car is turned on then the DC/DC converter is powering everything.

I completely agree with @notfred, ask them to put that in written, signed and stamped. You will notice a difference in their tone.

Code: Select all

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GHPRH6iS98wNhViDA

Soul EV 2016

Return to “Technical Discussions”