EV Range

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnogasx

Hi there I just bought a used 2016 Soul EV. I was wondering. Do I need to train the car to get better range? On an 88% charge it says I can only go 40 miles or so. When I first got the car it was charged to 55% and aid I could only go like 33 miles. I haven't been able to fully charge the battery. Any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

The Guessometer (range indicator) takes account of previous driving style but should relearn pretty quickly.

With a range that low it sounds as if you may have a battery problem, I would normally expect something in the 65-70 mile range at 80% battery when not in winter. Even in winter at 80% charge the worst would normally be 50 miles of range.

Fully charge the car to allow the cells to balance then make an appointment at a Kia dealer to have the battery's SOH (State of Health) read by their diagnostic tool. If the SOH is below 70% the battery will be eligible for a warranty replacement under the 10/100 battery warranty.

-
Before assuming you have a bad battery -

1/ How far does the car actually drive. If you start with a GOM of 50 miles, what is the GOM 20 miles later.

2/ What Energy Consumption does it show?- Go to EV settings / History to find this.

If it is a bad battery the warranty is for the car, not just the first owner

So I left this morning at 100% charge. Showed 58 miles range. Got to my destination I have 29 miles with a 59% battery. I am at 4.8kwh.

How many miles did you drive and what was the mi/kWh reading on the dash for the trip?

To determine whether it's a degradation or instrumentation issue you should:

1) Charge to 100%
2) Reset trip odometer
3) Reset mi/kWh meter

Then drive a given distance and make note of the distance traveled, the remaining charge percentage after the trip, and the mi/kWh achieved. With this information it will be easy to see if your guess-o-meter is out of whack (software issue) or if your car has a degraded battery pack.

After charging to 100% I drove 25.48 miles at 4.8 kWh I have 54% battery remaining with an estimated 29 miles of range.

If you did this drive at 4.8 mi/kWh it's my opinion that your main traction battery is severely degraded. If it were my car I would have it in for a State of Health (SOH) check at a local Kia dealer ASAP.

If SOH is below 70% you are likely to qualify for a new traction battery under the 10 year, 100,000 mile battery degradation warranty.

Edit: The battery warranty follows the car, not the owner at least as it's spelled out in my car's warranty booklet.

mtndrew1 said:
If you did this drive at 4.8 mi/kWh it's my opinion that your main traction battery is severely degraded. If it were my car I would have it in for a State of Health (SOH) check at a local Kia dealer ASAP.
I agree, if your car can only drive 60 miles or less on a full charge, when you getting 4.8 mi/kWh, then you should go to a Kia dealer and have it checked. Please report back here what they say.

Also could you let us know some details of this car. How old is it, how far has it driven, where was it registered when new.

Back