Full Charge Yields 16kWh added

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtalva

I recently purchased a 2015 Soul EV with 11K miles. My daily commute is 75 miles so I was a bit worried that I would not make it each day without a charge along the way each day. So far so good. I've recently installed the 32 amp Level 2 charger and from my ChargePoint app it's telling me that the total kWh added (after charging is completed) is right around 16kWh for the past two days. Both times the battery percentage was in the 8% range prior to the start of charging. Just wondering if I should be seeing a higher figure for the amount of kWh added during a charge that starts around 8% OR ... is that about right?

Thank you,
Curt

A 0%-100% charge on a nearly new battery should be ~27 kWh + charging losses. Original battery capacity is ~30.5 kWh with 27 usable.

I did a range test when my car was brand new (you can find it on YouTube) and at 3.9 mi/kWh the car could do about 105 miles on a charge.

Therefore on a fresh battery it should be pretty easy to accomplish 1 mile of driving per 1% of battery charge at or above 3.9 mi/kWh. Anything substantially worse would indicate a degraded battery. The warranty guarantees no more than 30% loss within ten years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

If you're getting about one mile per one percent charge then it's likely to be a software flaw with the ChargePoint unit's reporting.

That could very well be the case (ChargePoint reporting software off) since the report also said "54 miles added, 15.9kWh added". I actually had about 80-85 miles added to the charge.

Back