Car not holding charge

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Hi. So I’m in the northeast U.S. and we have been dealing with single digit temps. My car would normally do the typical low mileage charge up until about the second week into these temps. Now it will not keep charging. It’ll start and then stop soon thereafter. I’m worried because I’m already down to 23 miles. Is this just because of the extreme cold??? I hope it is not anything else.

Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, when you plug in the car will begin charging and at some point simply stop charging. Does the 'Fault' light light up on your charging cable when that happens? If so, I experienced that myself. For a little while I would check on my car ever half hour or so and if had stopped charging, I would unplug the cable from the car and the wall then plug everything in again so that charging resumed.

Ultimately, my car's onboard charger had to be replaced under warranty. My dealer didn't have the part in stock so they provided a loaner for car for a couple weeks until the car was fixed.

Another possible cause in frigid weather is a J-1772 plug that fits too tightly in the charging port, and so isn't pushed in far enough for a good connection when really cold. I've been seeing that here in Upstate NY.

Back