Infotainment Spontaneous Reboot?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtec26

Like the title says, has anyone had their infotainment just reboot randomly? I started my car today after dropping my son off at school, coasting down a hill about a mile into the drive, heard a pop/thud electrical sound from my speakers and noticed the infotainment go dark. It took about 30 seconds before it was fully online with navi map showing again.

Anyone else have this happen while driving?

Mine is stuck in that bootloop. "Kia" loading screen shows for about 30 secs, then pop noise, dark for a sec, then back to "Kia". Tried all the reset tricks: reset button, pull the fuse... nothing works. Basically dead. Not sure how to move on at this point. Considering trying to put in a junkyard ICE unit and hoping it works (minus the EV info).

I suspect an ICE one will not work. The headunit is a major component on the CAN bus. Have you tried reflashing the SD card?

Like the title says, has anyone had their infotainment just reboot randomly? I started my car today after dropping my son off at school, coasting down a hill about a mile into the drive, heard a pop/thud electrical sound from my speakers and noticed the infotainment go dark. It took about 30 seconds before it was fully online with navi map showing again.

Anyone else have this happen while driving?
How didi this end up? Mine did the same yesterday and today again..

I've got a 2018 but my old 2016 used to do the same thing a few times a year. I've had it freeze or stop responding to the volume control a few times too (reset with a paper clip stuck in the tiny hole on the head unit for a few seconds).

The infotainment unit has always been the one thing with the car that I was disappointed in because even when it's working as it should it is veeeeeeeeeery slow. Sometimes when putting the vehicle into reverse, the screen will take up to half a minute before showing the rear view, while other times it comes up in just a few seconds. And the time it takes to connect to bluetooth is embarrassingly long. I looked into putting something more modern in there but all of the aftermarket units you find online are for the ICE version of the car. As @notfred pointed out, there's a lot of additional info on the CANBUS that needs to be accessed. The best alternative I've come up with is a unit for the ICE version but with the addition of the OVMS (Open Vehicle Monitoring System) and a version of the head unit OS (usually a straight or mildly modified version of Android) that allows customization of how things are laid out. This would allow info coming from OVMS such as scheduled charge time to be displayed on the new unit. I still may do this in the future but a bit expensive the last time I checked.

Back