16,000 miles and drive motor is broken

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoxyDG

For the past month my 2016 Soul EV was acting odd (I just purchased it used this past March). After driving a bit as usual, sometimes when I stop at a traffic signal I hear a slight click sound coming from the floor (near the battery). After that the car turns off and most of the dash lights come on, including the main warning alert "check EV system". At first the car would come back on at my initial try, but this past week it took about two minutes and roughly eight times before it would come back on.
I finally took it in to have the issue repaired this week and it was diagnosed as needing the drive motor replaced. I don't have extensive details, but I was told that only one part of the drive motor is broken but it cannot be replaced alone, instead it can only be replaced by changing out the entire motor.
Of note, it has been very sunny and hot (high of about 94 degrees Fahrenheit most days past month).
Has anyone else heard about this issue?

Back