Fast Charging Question

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedwingBB

Just got our new 2018 Kia Soul EV, took it on long mountain highway trip fast charging all the way, about 400 km (250 miles), no problems going, but coming home after fast charging up to 94% the kilometres on the dash did not come up to over 200km as it did going. The first charger we charged at gave us 94% charge with about 184 km, 20 km missing. On the second charge we got our 94% charge and it said we had 165 km to drive. Where did all the kilometres go? Is this normal, is the range it gives us based on the mountain passes and faster highway speeds or is Kia like the 2018 Nissan Leaf with some kind of rapidgate thing going on here? I don't know if we can trust taking this car on highway trips anymore, maybe it's just a town slow charge car. I am sure glad with still have our other gas engine car. Just to let you know we trickle charged this car to 100% before we left and it said we had 225 kilometres, so if we subtract 6% off of that (94%) it should tell me I have over 200 kilometers, 211.5km to be exact. And this car has about 2000 kilometres (1200 miles) on it, brand new.

It's probably just adjusting to the power you are using travelling at highway speeds over mountains. The Soul is a box, great for interior room but bad for drag at highway speeds.

Thanks notfred, this whole EV world is new to us, and not sure how smart these cars are, it sounds like the car is giving me feedback for what the real range is given the terrain and speed. I assumed it would just give me the distance as if I was on a flat level road and I would have to estimate what the range might be given the steep hills. We loved driving our Soul EV on the highway, and saved a pile of money we would have shelled out for gas, the ride was so quiet and smooth, I hope we can do it again. Driving our gas SUV feels like driving the old Beverly Hillbilly truck after the Soul EV, and I used to think it was so smooth and quiet.

It gives you a range estimate based on what your previous driving over the past few trips was. That meter gets referred to as the "Guessometer" or GOM for a very good reason - if you switch from driving around town to highway or vice-versa it can be very inaccurate. It will also go up and down with temperature - the battery doesn't work as well when cold and you need more power to both move and heat the car.

Back