Surprise. Kia beats Leaf with efficiency. Period.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piro

Kia Soul EV did astonishing thing - it beats Nissan Leaf 30kWh without mercy! Shocking 116 Wh/km at our test tracj, without any extenders, trickery, even without factory ECO mode. Just B mode and voila.
Japan : Korea - 0:1 :)
Kia has usable 24 kWh (it is 2016 model, with 27 kWh total battery capacity) so range with this consumption will be: 207 km.
1. Kia Soul EV (2016) 27 kWh - 116 Wh/km (max range: 207 km)
2. Nissan Leaf I (2016) 30kWh (with Range Extender) - 122 Wh/km (max range: 221 km)
3. Tesla Model X 100D (2018) (with Range Extender) - 170 Wh/km (max range: 576 km)
4. Tesla Model X 100D (2018) - 203,5 Wh/km (max range: 481 km)
Next will be Leaf 30kWh without range extender and Fiat 500e. Maybe Fiat can beat actual surprising leader, Kia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uSbHNkSMQM

Maybe, maybe Fiat 500e will beat Kia Soul EV, but I can still try using factory ECO mode, and also install SoulChip range extender.

It seems, that Kia will be KING (or Queen?) of efficiency.

Next week I test also Bmw i3, so we will see...

-
Not on the Official EPA stats it doesn't.

In this screenshot you can see that the Soul EV has an official fuel economy of 105 MPGe and an energy consumption of 32 kWh / 100 miles.

16bhe2v.jpg

I chose the two N issan L eafs to show how vehicle manufacturers are gaming the EPA rules. The only difference between the two versions of the l eaf is that Nissan removed the option for 80% charging. This is explained in detail here - http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096028_tesla-p85d-highlights-why-epa-range-ratings-are-inconsistent-confusing-for-electric-cars
Kia eventually did the same thing, to gain 10% of range by removing the 80% option with the 2017 model.

-

Also the 2015 Soul EV has 27kWh usable capacity and 30.5kWh total capacity.
This is best proved with lab data - Soul EV data on AVTA website

The bad news though is that Trump killed the AVTA program, so we no longer get the data for newer cars.
Comparison Of Fuel Economy for Battery Electric Vehicles
-

Ok, I update range comments, thx for info. But for me Kia really is better, and this is not a small difference. To be honest - I did two loops. In second loop Kia did 5.5 miles/km, so it was shocking. I have published first (5,4 miles/km) result.

Back