Battery Upgrades?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcalvada

I'm reading the latest EVs have battery range over 300 miles. If not right now, might it be possible in the future for us owners of pre-2020 EVs be able to upgrade to higher range batteries.

Or maybe, possible in the future to add more cells, modules?

Almost certainly not from Kia. I know there was someone posting from a country where there was a thriving independent EV mechanic culture and people were putting battery packs from one car in another one.

It's certainly possible but I don't think the Kia Soul EV market is big enough for the outside investment (both time and $$$) to create such a thing. The first generation Nissan Leaf has a much better battery replacement community simply because there were far more of them sold (and also because the Leaf batteries are notoriously bad at handling high temperature climates).

Going to revive this one since I'm interested in eventually having an upgraded battery (and maybe even update to NACS - at least for the ones in North America). It might be hard though since the BMS needs to be updated along with the batteries, and changing the OBC might also be an issue.

though I'd be happy with a 40kWh battery. Maybe one day the batteries will be energy dense enough for replacement and it'll happen (fingers crossed). It's too bad there just weren't enough Soul EVs (first gen).

Maybe there's a way to jerry-rig the 2020-2023 year Soul EV battery pack and harvest out the BMS and OBC+CCS1 port. I do happen to really like my 2016 Soul with the sunroof (that full body roof is nice)

Back