Molded floor mat/Homelink mirror

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakkor

Anyone bought them from Kia? Are they fitting? I bought Weathertech Soul 2015 ones after asking customer service if they would fit the EV and they told me yes. Andddd they don't. Fixation are not even at the same place..

Also anyone know if you can add the Homelink mirror on the EV?

I purchased mats from Kia and they don't fit. The battery is under the front seats so the front mats are too long.

I remember seeing a floormat on Amazon with the feature of 'trims easily' so if it's a rubber floor mat, you could likely trim it carefully! with a sharp knife or scissors.

I am also going to add the home link mirror. I am in the process of trying to figure out what wiring I have. So I will take off the current mirror and check to see if there is general wiring available. If not then I will need to run wire to get a (always) hot wire to the home link. The mirror is available from different sources now, just a matter of figuring out what is required for install.
Manny

I climbed in and removed the currently installed day/night mirror. Just one screw. Looks like we are in good shape as the connector has six wires coming in. My guess is that one of them is live all the time (necessary for the homelink to work). I did not put a meter to it, but believe that it is a go. So now I just need to look for a unit that will attach in the same manner as the standard does. I would doubt that Kia would spec a different attachment for their homelink unit. I believe that a unit that works on a standard 2015 should work on our Soul. I will try that out by purchasing one. I will keep you advised.
Manny

I purchased a unit that is oem for the 2014 and 2015 Soul. Not specifically for the Soul EV though. I was surprised that the connection for the standard mirror that just has a dimming function had a connector with 5 wires coming in. The problem with that is I do not believe any of the wires are hot without the ignition being on. Actually that is not necessarily a issue if you don't mind keeping the car on while you open the garage. Someone from the Rav4EV forum had mentioned that they did not like the idea that if you get into the car that you can open the garage without having to start the Rav4EV. So I guess it depends. Anyway the unit I purchased had only a hot, a ignition hot and a ground. They provided the wires. So I did not even need the original connector. They describe the process so it is pretty clear cut. The only area I was not excited about was removing the cover between the windshield and the driver door. It covers one of the airbags so you need to be careful in dealing with it. However they give very good directions and pictures. You stuff the wired after hooking it up to the mirror inside the upper head liner. Then you bring it down to the fuse area just below the steering wheel. They give you ties to make sure you stay clear of the airbag. They also give you a special connector that replaces the one that you cut. Taking off the lower panel was pretty easy. There are two wires to splice into. They give you the connectors. One was a bit tight but worked. Overall took me about an hour. Second time around maybe fifteen minutes. Nice to have the compass. You have to drive in a small circle three times maintaining a speed just under 5 miles per hour. This calibrates the compass. Kind of cool. Nice mod. I think I paid $149 for the mirror shipped.
Manny

Sounds good. For some reason the Soul EVs coming in the SF bay area do not have the Homelink mirror installed at the port (it's an option). No way am I going back to 1980 to clip a garage door opener control onto my sun visor.

Did you just follow the instalation instructions that came with the mirror? I was surprised to read that the correct wiring isn't preinstalled in the car, or the new mirror already connectored to match the existing wiring.

Where did you buy the mirror from?

I purchased it on EBay for $149 delivered. I followed the instructions exactly as written. I too was surprised that the wiring was not already there. In fact I did not understand why the wire connector had 5 wires coming in when the mirror only dims and does not have any other functional activities. I tried to see if any were hot but did not find one. Perhaps the wire(s) are hot if and only if the car is on. That could be a scenario. However, I don't really expect there to be much of a drain on the aux 12 volt battery when not in use. So I have no idea. The unit I purchased was made for the Soul 2014 but as a standard car not the EV. The instructions were relatively easy to follow, if you are accustomed to taking things apart and putting them back together. Comes with the wires and instructions. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2015-Kia-Soul-AUTO-DIMMING-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-w-Homelink-Digital-Compass-/231504906693?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e6c489c5&vxp=mtr

(am looking to lease an EV in the next few months - Southern California)

looked today at a 2016 + and discovered that while it has an auto-dimming mirror - it is NOT the one which has the built-in Homelink. Am disappointed as it does not appear that you have a choice - so wonder whether I will end up paying the full $350 to get a Homelink mirror or whether it will just be the $$ difference between them. Anyone have any clue/experience?

As part of our lease agreement for our 2016 blue/white Soul EV Luxury model I arranged with the dealer (Kia West in Coquitlam BC Canada) to have a Homelink auto-dimming mirror installed at their cost.

I contacted Mito Corporation's (the distributor) technical department whose staff were very helpful. I sent photos of the stock auto-dimming mirror and Kia West forwarded some photos of the wiring harness of a vehicle that was on the lot. This process ensured that we would get a compatible unit.

The part number for the Homelink auto-dimming mirror is 50-GENK80A; this comes as a unit that has a harness along with the mirror.

The mirror is now in place and works fine.

Note that the unit uses flash memory to store the garage door/gate frequencies and thus is not wired to an always-on wire. Connection is made to a wire which is energized when the car is started.

I just looked up some Kia Soul HomeLink mirrors on eBay. Saw a couple for under $150 but when I used the model checker on the site and selected 2016 Kia Sould EV it said not compatible. The one I found was $230 which looks the same but has a slight different ending part number. Anyway I'm not sure if it made a difference or not but I wanted to be sure it was compatible so I dished it the extra money.

Everything looked like it was going well as I removed the existing auto dimming mirror. Had a but of a struggle separating the connector to remove the mirror. It was only after that the mirror was removed and I was ready to reconnect the new HomeLink mirror that I realized that the connectors were incompatible. So I'm a bit annoyed right now. I don't want to redo any of the wiring since there's wiring already there. If anything I would like to use the existing wire and change the connector... that's if I can map out the wiring. I considered taking it to the dealer and see if they would do it but then I'm sinking more money in. All is because I didn't want to clip a $30 garage door remote on my visor. Anybody have suggestions or don't this successfully using the existing wires?

My 2016 Kia Soul EV is the Canadian model by the way.

Tekguy26 said:
I just looked up some Kia Soul HomeLink mirrors on eBay. Saw a couple for under $150 but when I used the model checker on the site and selected 2016 Kia Sould EV it said not compatible. The one I found was $230 which looks the same but has a slight different ending part number. Anyway I'm not sure if it made a difference or not but I wanted to be sure it was compatible so I dished it the extra money.

Everything looked like it was going well as I removed the existing auto dimming mirror. Had a but of a struggle separating the connector to remove the mirror. It was only after that the mirror was removed and I was ready to reconnect the new HomeLink mirror that I realized that the connectors were incompatible. So I'm a bit annoyed right now. I don't want to redo any of the wiring since there's wiring already there. If anything I would like to use the existing wire and change the connector... that's if I can map out the wiring. I considered taking it to the dealer and see if they would do it but then I'm sinking more money in. All is because I didn't want to clip a $30 garage door remote on my visor. Anybody have suggestions or don't this successfully using the existing wires?

My 2016 Kia Soul EV is the Canadian model by the way.

Wondering whether you resolved this yet ? Am trying to decide whether to go this route or just go for the clip-on.

The Homelink mirror has just been a complete waste of time and money for me. I thought I would just be able to use the existing wiring and just plug it in. Nope, the connectors are different, and I have to install another wire instead. I called my local service department and see if they could install it for me. They said they don't make any after-market changes to EV's because that would void the manufacturer warranty because that would change the power consumption of the vehicle. Sounds like a play-it-safe response to me. However, if you're interested, I have a brand new never used Homelinke mirror for Kia.

I may just go with a clip-on.

Back