Stock stereo specs?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elm

I have the standard audio system which really sucks in my opinion. I want to upgrade but will take things one step at a time, the first being new speakers. I found some information that the stock amp impedance is 4 ohm. Can anyone confirm that? And what have folks done about a sub? I don't want massive thump or a box that takes up space in the back - I just want solid bass that is not likely to come from the 6.5 inch door speakers. I am an old fart, so no head banging, hip-hop or electronica. Thanks

You might want to tell us which country you're from (it's a global forum) and which grade of Soul EV you have - the specs seem to differ quite a bit.

My 2014 Leaf is a good comparison here. When upgrading to the 2014, Nissan replaced the 2011 Leaf's "charger hump" in the trunk with a Bose ported subwoofer. That minor change made for a significant improvement in the sound! For a factory stereo it was pretty great, compared to the so-so of the 2011.

I had forgotten how much better it was until I moved over to the Kia Soul EV. The bass was muddy and not nearly as present, like my 2011 Leaf was. So I'm thinking adding a small powered sub like Nissan did should do the trick.

Right now as I type this my local car audio installer is installing it. It's surprisingly small (different shape but similar overall volume to the Bose unit in the Leaf) and will sit in the cargo area just below the rear 12v port on the passenger side. It's got a solid frame and is designed to take a load so you can throw grocery bags or whatever on top of it without harm. Once I get it back I'll let you know how it does and take some pictures to post here.

Other than the bass issue the stock stereo really isn't that bad. Otherwise the next step is to upgrade the speakers and put in a better amplifier... but being a leased car I think I'll not go that far.

As my Soul is a lease I am really not interested in making any costly changes and the sound system is IMOP not that bad for the short time I am in the car. I am actually surprised KIA did not offer an upgrade to the audio system, understandably you are always looking at additional battery drain although I can not think

I was wondering if the speaker that is on the center console on the ICE cousine where our charging lights are is a base speaker? I would try to incorporate the charging lights into a speaker rather than have the area that looks like a frisbee landing port.

Tugrik,
I'm interested in adding a subwoofer. Would like to know your satisfaction with your installation. And Part Name and source ?
I think I can do it myself; any special installation problems ?.

Back