Disabling the out-of-vehicle tone

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethand

I'll search through previous posts as I'm a newbie here, but if anyone is familiar with the procedure I would like to disable the extremely long and loud tone that sounds when you step out with the key fob in your pocket. (Occurs only when the Soul is still in Run mode.) If such a mod has already been successfully performed, please share.

~ Ethan D
2016 Soul EV +

I don't think anyone has tried to disable this before. It is a useful reminder that you have forgotten to turn the car off when you park.
A simple workaround if you do want to leave the car running, leave the key in the car.

Think about this usage case. You drive to the airport. You get out of the car with the key in your pocket, without turning off the car. There is no warning tone because you disabled it. Your wife crosses over to the driver's side and drives off, without a key in the car. She stops to buy groceries and cannot restart the car.

Yeah I find that sound annoying too but I suppose it makes sense since the car is so silent it might be easy to forget that it's still running as you walk away. Many time is habe to get out of the car to grab the mail and it beeps.

I don't believe you can engage the vehicle's drive modes without a key present in the vehicle JeJuSoul...

That's why I don't want to leave the key in the car. I work part-time for a meal delivery service, and make frequent quick stops at night in quiet residential areas. I don't want or need to switch the car off. But I definitely don't want to walk away from it leaving the key inside. You can't lock it with it still running. But that tone is so loud and long: very annoying. Time for a hack or at least volume-lowering option.

ethand said:
I don't believe you can engage the vehicle's drive modes without a key present in the vehicle.
Am not sure what you mean by 'engage the vehicle's drive modes'. On most keyless cars once started, they can be driven away without the FOB in it. The Soul EV behaves this way. It is deliberate. It means the car does not suddenly stop when your key fob battery dies.
We have discussed this topic before.
irfca said:
Completely by accident, I discovered that the EV, once started, can be driven away without the FOB in it!! Yikes!
I carpool with a friend. On Wednesday morning, I had the FOB in my pocket. When I got out of the car, it beeped a tone for maybe 3-5 seconds, but when my friend climbed into the driver seat (after dropping me off), she was able to drive away. Had she not realized I didn't leave the FOB in the vehicle, we would have had an interesting problem to solve at 5pm!
see - Soul EV can be driven w/o the FOB

Also you are not the first who wanted to disable the tone.
MacGuffin said:
I'd like to be able to disable that obnoxious beep. After I back out of my garage at 6am I have to get out of my car TO close the garage door and I'm sure my neighbors don't like waking up to it.
see - Ignition on reminder when key leaves

This was exactly the reason why I disconnected the speaker in my wallbox EVSE. It has a recorded voice that would loudly announce that the cable had been unplugged at 6AM.

Being an EV, with so many computerized components, regardless of Pros and Cons, all features should be Programmable, and let drivers choose what's best for them, every driver has unique needs.

For me, i would like to program the automatic door lock to a higher speed, 15km is too low, when i move from parking spot to loading zone, i have to unlock again. Switch speed display between km and mile, living by the border, drivers often cross border into the US, i heard the international version has this feature but the Canadian model doesn't.

Also, if i can customize my home screen on my smartphone, why can't i do the same on my car, there is a hard button for EV so i would like to replace the EV icon with climate control info, i would like to see map, song title and climate settings all at once.

My 2 cents.

I also have a 2013 Mazda3, which has a similar keyless entry/operation mode. It, too, cries loudly when I stop at the mailbox and step out of the car while it's still running (though it does it with a long succession of loud beeps rather than one long tone). While this is mildly irritating, I think the benefit is worth the cost in this case.

At least on the the Soul EV some other functions (whether the button on the driver's door opens all locks or just that door, whether the locks engage when the car reaches a certain speed and so forth) are programmable. With the Mazda it's something the dealer has to change.

Back