Cargo area cover?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEC

Brand new here.

My wife and I just took delivery of our first electric vehicle - a Soul EV - last night. Overall we are REALLY impressed so far with it in many ways.

But one relatively minor thing that seems to be missing is a cover for the area between the rear seat and the tailgate. My Mazda3 hatchback (and it's 323 predecessor) had a rigid cover that was hinged just behind the seat and tied to the tailgate itself which presents a sort of shelf when the tailgate is closed (or when the lines that tie it to the tailgate are snapped off). This cover can be removed from the car altogether very easily when one needs the extra height in the cargo volume (especially with the rear seat folded down).

There doesn't seem to be a current Soul accessory that does this (and there don't even seem to be provisions for one). I know the Soul several years ago had a sort of roller cover, but there doesn't seem to be one like that for the current ones either.

Anyone have any ideas of something like this we might be able to add?

Bernard Cawley
Auburn, Washington USA

2016 Soul EV blue/white

Every Soul EV I've seen had the official Kia one, it's a parcel shelf and hinged a bit in the middle to help in putting things in.

Sounds like you bought the base level Soul EV. Great car, and a great value -- but unfortunately you only get the cargo cover if you buy the higher trim level, the EV+. See this site for which things come standard or as options with each of the two different trim levels: http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2016/features

But you should ask your dealer if there is some way to retrofit the cargo cover into your car.

And in any event, enjoy your car!

notfred said:
Every Soul EV I've seen had the official Kia one, it's a parcel shelf and hinged a bit in the middle to help in putting things in.
There is a tray cover at the bottom of the cargo area, yes, that is hinged in the middle. What I am looking for is something that is at the level of the top of the back seat (or at the base of the headrests), which makes an enclosed (and, more importantly, hidden) cargo volume that something like a rolling laptop bag can be put in and not be visible.

Thanks for the thought.

tiburonh said:
Sounds like you bought the base level Soul EV. Great car, and a great value -- but unfortunately you only get the cargo cover if you buy the higher trim level, the EV+. See this site for which things come standard or as options with each of the two different trim levels: http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2016/features

But you should ask your dealer if there is some way to retrofit the cargo cover into your car.

And in any event, enjoy your car!

Yes - it's an EV, not an EV+.

That will be a question then when the salesman next touches base with me (which I'm expecting in a day or three).

It's odd that this cover is thought to be a high-end feature. My base model 1988 Mazda 323 (and every other 323 hatchback I've ever seen) had one, as does my current 2013 Mazda3 5-door i Touring (not the high trim line at all). It is a key feature for keeping high value cargo (such as the aforementioned computer in a bag) out of sight and therefore not as obvious a target.

On the other hand, the first full day of having it has been great fun. My experience with electric-powered flying models over the last 30+ years prepared me for some of the characteristics it has, but there's one little spot on the way home from work that has been a struggle for every vehicle I have driven - a block-long very steep bit of hill that comes right after a 90 degree turn - until today. :)

That's exactly what I need. My EV doesn't have the fittings. In looking at your "fittings" picture, it appears that the shelf ends/ attachments are part of the interior trim assembly back there - so I'd have to have the whole panels replaced with the ones that have the shelf supports. I will still see what those parts (and installation) cost but now that I see how it works I expect it'll be several hundred dollars at least to do this. *sigh*

I spent some time with the owners' manual yesterday (I am one of those weirdos who actually reads that stuff) and found similar but less clear illustrations in the "features" section.

Again I'm surprised this is a feature of the top trim line only....but I went from "now might finally be the time to get an electric car" to picking up this vehicle so quickly that I didn't research this particular little detail.

Thanks!

use a solar store instead ... after all, it's only an esthetic part. :mrgreen:
this part :
KJQqJY.jpg

Yes, it's odd but the cover does not have an attachment place in the EV-E or the EV (middle) models. Khai from our group just sold me his EVSE, floor mats, and cargo protector and cover from his EV+ (thanks, Khai!) and there is no way to attach the cover to the EV base model. I don't get this at all, but it's the reality. Would anyone with an EV+ like a cargo protector and/or cover for the cost of the shipping?

Well, I checked with the dealer's parts department and found that the cost of the necessary interior pieces to do what I want is on the order of $600 for the two side panels that would have to be replaced, plus the cover itself. This was done by looking up those parts for an EV+ which has them.

And of course he can't say for sure the parts would fit (though I can't imagine why they wouldn't). Now I have to decide whether to try to do this or just live with it on this leased car.

I also was a little saddened to learn that the necessary attach points for that nice aerodynamic roof rack that fits on some Souls are not present on the roof of the EV..... *sigh*

BEC said:
I also was a little saddened to learn that the necessary attach points for that nice aerodynamic roof rack that fits on some Souls are not present on the roof of the EV..... *sigh*

Yup, I was disappointed as well. I ended up paying $400 for track to be added to my roof. But that is off topic and shown in another thread.

Back