ksoul2084

Re: 2015-16 MY Recall

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:06 am

2016Electric wrote:Hi all,

If you have a model equipped with the heat pump option, turn on your heat (auto is fine) and adjust the temp upward until the heat is commanded on. Then check under the hood and verify that your A/C (heat pump) compressor is running. You will be able to determine that by the noise it makes, and touch the high pressure discharge line to feel that it is warm/hot (it is the silver pipe just behind the motor, to the right (standing in front), and it passes through the firewall between the motor and steering column. It's easy to see and touch, nothing is in the way. Also let me know what temp you selected, and what the outside air temp was at the time per your vehicle display by the odometer.

Thanks!

2016 Soul EV+, recently received warranty rebuilt battery pack and all current firmware updates.

Outside temp, 5c
Heater on at 22.5c
Drove 15 mins on highway at 115km/h.
Upon arrival, no compressor running, and pipes into cab are all cold.

I am pretty sure I've never heard my compressor running if A/C wasn't engaged, however.

JejuSoul

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:50 am

-
ksoul2084 - I remember you posting before that your A/C doesn't work - Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016
Did you ever fix this? The heat pump is the same system as the A/C. It requires refrigerant to work.
ksoul2084 wrote:... Also, as I noted previously my A/C doesn't work either due to what I believe to be lack of refrigerant ...
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

ksoul2084

Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:56 am

JejuSoul wrote:-
ksoul2084 - I remember you posting before that your A/C doesn't work - Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016
Did you ever fix this? The heat pump is the same system as the A/C. It requires refrigerant to work.
ksoul2084 wrote:... Also, as I noted previously my A/C doesn't work either due to what I believe to be lack of refrigerant ...

Yes, the A/C was repaired at the same time the replacement battery was installed. Works great now, though I don't need it anymore with winter settling in here in Canada.

JejuSoul

Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:59 am

ksoul2084 wrote:Yes, the A/C was repaired at the same time the replacement battery was installed. Works great now, though I don't need it anymore with winter settling in here in Canada.

Yes, you do.
The heat pump is the same system as the A/C. Your car will have better range in winter when using the heat pump to warm the cabin than the electric PTC heater that warms the cabin air if the heat pump isn't working.

For example watch this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQELZBjznA
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

ksoul2084

Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:23 pm

JejuSoul wrote:
ksoul2084 wrote:Yes, the A/C was repaired at the same time the replacement battery was installed. Works great now, though I don't need it anymore with winter settling in here in Canada.

Yes, you do.
The heat pump is the same system as the A/C. Your car will have better range in winter when using the heat pump to warm the cabin than the electric PTC heater that warms the cabin air if the heat pump isn't working.

For example watch this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQELZBjznA

Well sure, I meant I didn't need it for cooling anymore. The A/C switch is not usually lit when the heat is on these days either, unless I have Front Defrost button pressed.

AFIK the heat pump is just magic and doesn't need to be turned on via some control, is that correct?

2016Electric

Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:44 pm

Haha, well not magic ;)

But yes that's correct, the FATC is supposed to control the heat pump and PTC automatically (and when it hasn't been buggered up by incompetent service, that's what should happen).

At moderate temperatures the vehicle will heat with only the heat pump, using the least energy. As the temperature falls and heating load increases, a blend of the heat pump and PTC may be used.. And below around -20C, pretty much all the heat is supplied by the PTC.

It would certainly be possible for the vehicle to heat at very low temps with only the heat pump, if a suitable refrigerant were used, but given the boiling point and pressures in the system with R134a, that's not the case. You'd have to use something with higher pressures and a lower boiling point, such as R410 (as is the case with modern residential heat pumps (in North America, often referred to as a mini split).

Anyhow, Jeju, if you are reading this, Kia Canada has contacted the dealer that messed up my heat pump and they have asked me to bring the car back in for further 'testing', and agreed to allow me to be present when they do so (at my insistence). I'm going to try to get it in this week sometime for that.. I'll let you all know how it goes and if they finally acknowledge the fact that the heat pump does not operate when the heat is turned on.. I certainly hope the visit is productive and goes well, as I see the only other alternative being to pursue legal remedy for damage incurred to my vehicle.

Return to “General / Main Kia Soul EV Owners Forum”