Just picked up Soul EV 2020 Limited

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mactech

I've returned my 2016 Soul EV Luxury lease and bought Soul EV 2020 Limited with 64 kWh battery in Canada. Single color - blue, with sunroof.
From dealer words there are no dual color options in Canada.
The new car is faster, smarter and slightly longer. Cargo volume is larger, slightly more legroom, plenty of headroom, backseat armrest added.
Harman Kardon premium sound system with subwoofer, HD radio, big responsive 10.25" navigation screen. Mood lighting. Heated and cooled front power seats with 2 way lumbar support on driver side, heated back seat.
Front ultrasound sensors are gone, as well as power folding mirrors. I don't care about sensors, but liked to see mirrors close when locking the car - you could tell from distance if car is locked or not. Headrests are not adjustable front to back, but softer and more comfortable.
Finally Kia UVO in Canada! Live traffic, weather info, emergency services, remote climate and charge control, etc.
The new car feels very different - breaking is more efficient, acceleration is much faster. Smart regeneration - car slows down on its own if a car in front is slowing down. Lane keep assist, smart cruise control, pedestrian detection, etc. Steering wheel paddles allow to change regen level, turn it off completely(I love it!) or completely stop the car.
Still learning the car, but if you have any questions - ask away, I'll do my best to answer.
Ilya

Thanks for the info! It sounds like a lot of new/improved features, and very few (other than folding mirrors) deleted features.

I have a 2015 Soul EV, and thinking of upgrading to the 2020 when it becomes available in the US.

How was your buying experience? I assume you bought from dealer inventory -- were the 2020's difficult to find, and did you have to hustle to buy one before being sold out? I'm assuming you paid full MSRP, and were there any additional dealer markup?

The first few Soul EVs 2020 have arrived to dealerships in Vancouver in late April. I already had $1000 deposit I put earlier, anticipating that the inventory will be low. The car is not officially released in Canada and they don't have a complete financial info yet. For instance, dealers still waiting on lease details from Kia finance.
As usual, dealer was trying to oversell with extra insurance, additional fees and raise MSRP. It wasn't a good buying experience. At the end I paid a bit more than expected and took financing instead of lease.
But I'm happy with the car and hope to keep it for a long time. No more range anxiety!
After a few days of mixed driving, estimator shows 422km(263ml) with battery charged to 90%
Planning on going for a 1500km trip next month.

My understanding is the 2020 Soul EV won't be offered in the US any time before 2021. Bummer!
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29522769/kia-soul-ev-delayed-2021/

:(

I just was on the US Kia site and saw the same thing - 2021 Soul EV coming to select dealers in the US in 2021.

Well, that puts me in a spot. We extended the lease on the 2016 by six months already (and have been told we can only do that once) so in March 2020 we will have to either buy the car or go somewhere else. My wife says “NO” to the Niro EV due in part to the almost all black interior with no options (our Caribbean Blue/White EV is light grey inside). The Tesla Model 3 isn’t as practical for carrying outsized things (such as a harp) and I doubt the Model Y will be available in March.

So with this news I again have no idea what we’re going to do. I want practical road trip range, though that is the one thing I really want to change with the current car. Otherwise it’s been great (and we’ve already been through the OBC replacement, so that’s done).

*sigh*

I wonder what it would take to get a 2020 in Vancouver and import it to the US. Probably a crazy idea.....

Current plan is to buy out the lease and then hang on for another year to two....by which time the Tesla model Y, the 2021 Soul EV, the Ford Mustang Mach E and other choices should be available. I guess that trip back home to New Mexico by EV will have to wait and the Mazda will have to make the drive once or twice more....

As I said before *sigh*

Back