Range Down to 39 Miles

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesm1950

My 2017 EV+ has about 20,000 miles on it. For the past six months the range has been dropping. Now, in the last couple of weeks it has started dropping faster. Today, my Level 2 charger brought me up to 41 miles. I went to the nearest dealer and was told that next Tuesday was the soonest they can take a look at it. (Today is Thursday.) I juiced up on their Level 3 charger before heading back and it only took me up to 39 Miles. Since the Level 3 DC charger did no better than the Level 2 AC charger, I am guessing this is a battery failure and not a problem with the OBC. It's hot in Texas in the summer. I believe the air cooling of the batteries is just not enough for sustained 100+ degree weather.

Before I meet with the dealer on Tuesday, I am interested in what other might suggest I say. I'm 3 months from the end of my lease. Should I press for battery replacement or ask for the lease to be terminated sooner. Any other advise will be welcomed.

Sounds like your battery is dying. I would check with the Soul Spy app and a KW902 bluetooth dongle.

I would doubt that the dealer would want to conflate the two issues (battery failure and lease expiry).

I would book the appt and take it in. At that point presumably it will stay there until the warranty repair is completed.

Then you can decide if you'd want to buy out the vehicle at end of lease knowing it A) has a fresh rebuilt battery in it, and B) Is unlikely to last long in your hot local conditions.

I'm guessing you're thinking of moving on to a different vehicle?

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll post what the dealer finds next week. I am not likely to buy out the lease. Although, I’ll look at the numbers. I will need a car for another 18 months before I retire overseas. It might be the cheapest short term transportation that’s eco friendly.

Southwest Kia has now had my Soul EV+ for about 5 weeks. They are waiting on a new battery and the prognosis is for the part to arrive at the end of November or the first week of December. Meanwhile they have been willing to pay for a car from Enterprise car rental. Unfortunately, they do not rent EVs so I have to pay for gas. I am disappointed and unlikely to buy out the lease in February. I believe the air cooled battery design just isn’t up to Texas summer heat. I’ll check in again when my car is returned.

It took 6 weeks but the dealer did replace my battery. Range is now about 107 miles so the new battery seems to have greater capacity. It has taken a while to get back to the forum due to recovery from knee replacement. I am driving now and I’m enjoying my new mobility in the Soul and walking.

Back