Preparing to Part Ways with My Soul EV

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOnyMzB

Purchased my 2016 Soul EV in late 2015. Love the car. Had one major battery problem, which took months to resolve, but resulted in a new factory battery and things have been great since. Almost at 60k miles and still running great.
Now it's come time to say goodbye. Once again, I love the car, but the range is just too limited compared to the newer EVs. Also, with my expired CA HOV stickers, my work commute sucks. I need to get back HOV access :D
I had held out for the 2020 Soul EV, but it looks like it's been pushed out yet again and I don't want to wait any longer because the depreciation on my Soul EV is too much already and I need HOV access.
I test drove a 2019 Niro EV and I liked it a lot. I also checked out a Tesla Model 3. The Niro EV EX and the standard range Tesla M3 come out to similar prices for a lease.
Does anybody have any input on why I should pick one over the other? I can't seem to decide.

Hi there!

I have been a long follower of Tesla and was looking at the same thing as you, comparing Niro EV to Model 3 Standard Range+ (They only have Standard Range if you call or visit a showroom and doesnt come with Autopilot) and from my experience seeing these two back to back in comparisons, I would go with the Model 3 Standard Range+ has 250 Miles of Range and just saw a 5% performance boost and a whopping 175 kW of charging since the smaller battery pack will take a shorter amount of time to charge. The 175 kW charging is only applicable to V3 Supercharging and up to 120-150 kW depending on which V2 Supercharger Station you visit. The Niro EV only has 100 kW Fast Charging via CCS (Combined Charging Standard), along with a shorter range of 239 Miles of Range per charge, with nothing too special about it.

Here is a better look spec-wise:
Model 3 (Standard Range+, RWD) | Kia Niro EV (64kWh, FWD)
250 Miles of Range | 239 Miles of Range
50 kWh Battery Pack | 64 kWh Battery Pack
7.7 kW OB Charger | 7.2 kW OB Charger
175 kW Fast Charging (V3 Supercharging) 120-150 kW (V2 Supercharging) | 100 kW DC Fast Charging via CCS
140 MPH Top Speed | 104 MPH Top Speed
201 Horsepower for both but Kia Niro EV has more torque
Model 3 is more efficient compared to the Niro EV in all specifications

Thanks for the info.
I meant standard range plus for the Model 3.
I'm going to test drive both this weekend.
I test drove the Niro EV a few weeks ago and I really liked it (compared to my Soul EV).
I looked at the Model 3 in the showroom and was impressed with the minimalist interior, but not sure if the everything-touch-screen will be distracting when driving.
I know performance overall should be better with the Tesla, but the Kia has it's advantages too. One big advantage (for me) is Android Auto. Tesla doesn't have it and the Tesla navigation doesn't have real time traffic, unless you get the long range version. Also the cargo space in the Kia will come in handy.
Without having driven the Tesla yet, I have to say it's a toss up right now.

Back