Recommendations for Winter Tires?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachman

anyone gone through the winter and switched to snows? they come with the ultra low resistance tires which the dealer here said to switch to snows early since they are horrible at traction in cold weather. having "ultra low resistance" snow tires is counter productive but wondering if there is anything close to that with a better rubber compound for colder/snow belt weather.

I looked into winter tires last fall, when I had high hopes of getting my Soul EV before Christmas. From what I could tell, the X-Ice 3 were low resistance, as indicated by their high fuel rating. Winter tire choice is often driven by personal preferences, but for my money, the XIce Michelins have served me well on other vehicles over the past 15 years or so, and will be my choice this fall when I buy tires for my Soul EV. I'll likely buy them from Canadian Tire when the $70 Michelin rebate starts in a month or two ... if you time it right, CTC often has a buy 3 get 1 free sale in December, after the rebate ends, so if you purchase in late Nov / early Dec, you can price match too (I think it is a 30 day price match).

I have used Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires (or their previous incarnations) for > 10 years on two different cars and plan to buy them again for the Soul EV this winter. They are LRR so should perform ok. I'll buy alloy rims to put them on to reduce weight vs steelies for the winter too.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/

Back