Road Trip: Another 1600 miles with 1st emergency tow!

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great link - thanks.
And welcome to the forum.
A couple of tips intrigued me.
To get a full 100% charge you need to trickle charge L1 after completing the L2 charge.
To get a better idea of maximum range multiply the GOM by 1.3

I live in Atlanta and have family in NC, MD, NJ and NY so I'm used to making road trips like yours--but always using gasoline! Congrats for solidly demonstrating what can be done with these cars.

Great Blog. I plan on my first road trip (973 mi.) real soon in my Stormtrooper EV. A little worried about weather conditions in other areas. Plan to make a video blog of the event. Should be an adventure!

JejuSoul said:
To get a better idea of maximum range multiply the GOM by 1.3
I've checked this on a couple of trips when I remember to note the estimated range before and after a trip and track how far the trip was. Just today I recorded the following:
1/1/16
Started at 83% SOC
Range 59 mi
Traveled 50.7 mi
Range remaining 14 mi
59-14=45mi
50.7/45=1.13
Temp 40°F
Freeway speed 60 mph

Depending on how outside temperature is accounted for it looks like the 1.3 multiplier is a usable rule of thumb. For me, basically what the car says is possible is definitely possible barring something like a strong headwind or driving much over 60 mph. It will be interesting to see what the ratio is during warm weather.

Back