Free Map updates?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffBacon

I found this Kia site charging $190 (eek!) for a maps update for the Kia. Anyone know if you can get this for free anywhere?

In The Netherlands you get the map update free when you go in for the annual maintenance interval.

That said, I don't like the navigation of the car much. Because the update is so infrequent it is outdated and not very helpful. So I use either a separate navigation device or (mostly) my phone.

I usually use my phone, but I am taking mine in for a firmware update. I am hoping to get new maps, too.

I bought it a month and a half ago, and during the test drive the salesman said the maps update for free using satellite every 2 weeks.
Now, I know that is not the case, but I am trying to leverage the fact he promised it to try to get them to up-date mine to 9.5 for free here in Seattle, WA.

I am hoping on Sat Dec 19th they throw it in for free when they are doing the firmware update (to fix flashing guess-o-meter bars) and the steering recall.

wrickcook said:
I bought it a month and a half ago, and during the test drive the salesman said the maps update for free using satellite every 2 weeks.
Is it possible the saleman meant that Charging Station locations are updated every 2 weeks ?

Leafer said:
wrickcook said:
Is it possible the saleman meant that Charging Station locations are updated every 2 weeks ?

Doubt it. I had just told him I never use the built in navigation in cars, because they are always out of date and phones are always up to date. His reply was that the maps update every 2 weeks.

Good point, tho. I should have made him write it down. I am regretting now that I didn't make him write EVERYTHING down.

I completed the map update this weekend.
It does take about 30 minutes. The instructions cover many different models, so it says to keep your engine running the whole time. I think I lost 2 miles on the SOC sitting still.

The UI looks a little better, but my wife drives it more than I, so I don't know specifically what changed.

Step 1: Copy Files
Step 2: Prepare System Update
Reboot
Updating the System
Reboot
Step 3: Updating the MODEM
Step 4: Updating GPS
Step 5: Updating SUB MICOM
Step 6: Updating MAIN MICOM
Reboot

N5SgoWR.jpg

SWdya4y.jpg

EDIT: images are not showing up, but path looks OK. Just some images of the packaging.

wrickcook said:
I completed the map update this weekend.
It does take about 30 minutes. The instructions cover many different models, so it says to keep your engine running the whole time. I think I lost 2 miles on the SOC sitting still.

Where did you get the update from? Did you have to pay for it?

this site is the official Kia/Hundai maps site.

I don't want to get into details, but I did not have to pay. It was negotiated thru my dealership.

They ordered it. It took a week to get to them and I drove and picked up the sd card from the same place I got my car.

wrickcook said:
this site is the official Kia/Hundai maps site.

I don't want to get into details, but I did not have to pay. It was negotiated thru my dealership.

They ordered it. It took a week to get to them and I drove and picked up the sd card from the same place I got my car.

Ok thanks, I just got the car 3 weeks ago so I'm pretty confident I can get the dealership to upgrade me. Does this contain any vehicle updates or is it strictly maps?

kmaluo said:
Ok thanks, I just got the car 3 weeks ago so I'm pretty confident I can get the dealership to upgrade me. Does this contain any vehicle updates or is it strictly maps?

It has car updates as well, but I don't know how much.

This update has been available since the beginning of December, maybe before then.
I would complain, especially if your car is that new. The update would have been available when you purchased, and a new car should come with the latest and greatest software available.

It took a few months of twisting their arm, for me. They kept saying 9.5 was unavailable and it was a 3rd party site I was seeing it on, etc. until I did a DNS lookup and proved it was an official Kia site offering the maps.

RaleighRon said:
Does anybody know how often these map updates are produced? Once a year, or more frequently?

Not sure, but at $200 a pop, I hope not very often because I don't plan on doing it again.

One weird issue... When you install ver9.5, the system displays it as running 8.47.44.552.004.1
It seems like that should be called version 8.5 but the whole numbers are one digit off from what your car actually displays.

I am guessing that since, before, my car displayed 7.47.65.001.001, maybe my car was running what they call version 8.5 before.?.?

Seems like a screwy system.

kmaluo said:
I'm showing 08.47.44.552.003.1

Hmmmm, I see only one digit difference, but this site says that your 3 at the end should be a 4 after the install....
http://www.kia-gpsmap.us/map-updates/2016-kia-soul-ev-map-update-601.html

I would assume you have maps 9.5 because it starts with 8.47, but maybe you are missing a minor firmware update (like SA201) or some update that does not come with the maps.?.? Not sure.

I haven't updated yet. This is the version I received in my new car three weeks ago.

kmaluo said:
I haven't updated yet. This is the version I received in my new car three weeks ago.

I am guessing they gave it to you with the newer maps, but I do not know what would cause that small of a decimal number to change.

Maybe check w/ your dealer if you have all the updates based on your VIN.

-My dealership said I already had the SA201 update. (Mfr Campaign/Safety Recall Notice:SA201 - SA201 PSEV LOW VOLTAGE DC-DC CONVERTER https://www.flickr.com/photos/40085449@N04/24076249432)

-They said I did not need the SA203 per my VIN (SA203 (PSEV) LOW VOLTAGE DC - UPDA http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=425&start=10)

-And SA206 is brand new, so I have not had it yet. It is not software, but replacing the center seat belt in the back seat.

Back