kmaluo

Do you hear the high pitch sound?

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:01 am

Thought I was going crazy, but an old post mentioned that it's the inverter or something. Hope it really doesn't drive me crazy. Lol. Curious as to how many people notice it.

tractioninc

Re: Do you hear the high pitch sound?

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:30 pm

I assume you refer to a quiet, high-pitch whine at a constant pitch that is most easily heard at lower speeds? If so, that's a sound intentionally emitted by the car to provide an 'acoustical alert' to warn pedestrians of your vehicle. Sound-based warnings are mandatory for EVs in a number of countries.
Kia Soul EV+, Porsche 928

notfred

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:06 pm

There's 3 noises as you drive forward:
1) A very fast musical burble, almost sounds like a grinding brake but more pleasant. This is the pedestrian warning noise.

2) At very low speeds (single digits) I can just hear the motor or reduction gears spin up or down if it is super quiet.

3) Very occasionally I'll hear an electronic whine from the inverter. It's right at the limit of my hearing pitch.

As soon as I close the window and turn on the music I can't hear anything else.

When reversing it adds a bing-bing to the pedestrian warning.

kmaluo

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:24 pm

It must be the inverter. I guess I have sensitive hearing because I hear it all speeds. I have to turn the music pretty loud to not hear it. Anyone know where the inverter is located?

notfred

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:57 am

The inverter is part of the lump of electronics under the hood where the gasoline motor would be. The charger is the top part of the stack, the inverter is further down.

I wonder if maybe yours is noisier than normal. Does your dealership have another Soul EV for you to take for a short test drive and see if it is the same?

kmaluo

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:08 am

Crap, it's not the inverter. I tracked the high pitched sound to the center lcd display behind the steering wheel. Can anyone else here this. Try closing the doors, turn everything off, put your ear by the top hole of the steering wheel. When the display turns on, if your ears are sensitive enough, you'll definitely hear it. I can hear it going 60mph with soft radio on. I'll have to go to Kia and check another Soul out.

2016Electric

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:02 pm

kmaluo wrote:Crap, it's not the inverter. I tracked the high pitched sound to the center lcd display behind the steering wheel. Can anyone else here this. Try closing the doors, turn everything off, put your ear by the top hole of the steering wheel. When the display turns on, if your ears are sensitive enough, you'll definitely hear it. I can hear it going 60mph with soft radio on. I'll have to go to Kia and check another Soul out.

Yup I can hear that too. You will notice that it's louder when the intensity of the display is increased (I.e. bright sunlight during the middle of the day). My guess is that it's a noisy circuit that controls the power to the display brightness, as it is far less noisy at night when the panel is dimmer (lower output).

kmaluo

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Went to the dealership today and another new Soul EV had the same sound. I'm slowly going crazy from the incessant high pitch. Lol.

GizmoEV

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:28 pm

kmaluo wrote:Went to the dealership today and another new Soul EV had the same sound. I'm slowly going crazy from the incessant high pitch. Lol.

Just play lots of really loud music. Eventually you won't hear those pesky high pitched noises. :lol:
David D. Nelson

Blue 2016 Soul EV+ & Cloud 2018 Soul EV+ :D :o

JTEL

Mon May 09, 2016 8:38 pm

Hey guys - any updates on this high pitched noise? It's driving me nuts - and I'm now getting tinnitus out of the car. Ugh!

Doesn't seem to be linked to the LCD brightness for me. It also stays on after I park and turn off the car. Any help would be hugely appreciated!!

Return to “General / Main Kia Soul EV Owners Forum”