Do you hear the high pitch sound?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaluo

Thought I was going crazy, but an old post mentioned that it's the inverter or something. Hope it really doesn't drive me crazy. Lol. Curious as to how many people notice it.

I assume you refer to a quiet, high-pitch whine at a constant pitch that is most easily heard at lower speeds? If so, that's a sound intentionally emitted by the car to provide an 'acoustical alert' to warn pedestrians of your vehicle. Sound-based warnings are mandatory for EVs in a number of countries.

There's 3 noises as you drive forward:
1) A very fast musical burble, almost sounds like a grinding brake but more pleasant. This is the pedestrian warning noise.

2) At very low speeds (single digits) I can just hear the motor or reduction gears spin up or down if it is super quiet.

3) Very occasionally I'll hear an electronic whine from the inverter. It's right at the limit of my hearing pitch.

As soon as I close the window and turn on the music I can't hear anything else.

When reversing it adds a bing-bing to the pedestrian warning.

It must be the inverter. I guess I have sensitive hearing because I hear it all speeds. I have to turn the music pretty loud to not hear it. Anyone know where the inverter is located?

The inverter is part of the lump of electronics under the hood where the gasoline motor would be. The charger is the top part of the stack, the inverter is further down.

I wonder if maybe yours is noisier than normal. Does your dealership have another Soul EV for you to take for a short test drive and see if it is the same?

Crap, it's not the inverter. I tracked the high pitched sound to the center lcd display behind the steering wheel. Can anyone else here this. Try closing the doors, turn everything off, put your ear by the top hole of the steering wheel. When the display turns on, if your ears are sensitive enough, you'll definitely hear it. I can hear it going 60mph with soft radio on. I'll have to go to Kia and check another Soul out.

kmaluo said:
Crap, it's not the inverter. I tracked the high pitched sound to the center lcd display behind the steering wheel. Can anyone else here this. Try closing the doors, turn everything off, put your ear by the top hole of the steering wheel. When the display turns on, if your ears are sensitive enough, you'll definitely hear it. I can hear it going 60mph with soft radio on. I'll have to go to Kia and check another Soul out.

Yup I can hear that too. You will notice that it's louder when the intensity of the display is increased (I.e. bright sunlight during the middle of the day). My guess is that it's a noisy circuit that controls the power to the display brightness, as it is far less noisy at night when the panel is dimmer (lower output).

Went to the dealership today and another new Soul EV had the same sound. I'm slowly going crazy from the incessant high pitch. Lol.

kmaluo said:
Went to the dealership today and another new Soul EV had the same sound. I'm slowly going crazy from the incessant high pitch. Lol.
Just play lots of really loud music. Eventually you won't hear those pesky high pitched noises. :lol:

Hey guys - any updates on this high pitched noise? It's driving me nuts - and I'm now getting tinnitus out of the car. Ugh!

Doesn't seem to be linked to the LCD brightness for me. It also stays on after I park and turn off the car. Any help would be hugely appreciated!!

JTEL said:
It also stays on after I park and turn off the car.!
With the car off the only systems still running are the Smart Key System to open the doors, and the UVO Modem System. And perhaps, this is my best guess, Cooling Fans. If you reach behind the steering wheel you can access the fuses. Turn off the main power switch and see if this sound continues.

There are 3 distinct sounds that I have noticed. First is the beeping when backing up which is the most noticeable. Second is the high pitched whistle when driving forward. I mostly notice this when I have the windows down and the radio is quiet or off and I am driving at low speeds. I checked this morning with my ear close to the dash and I could faintly hear the pitch with the radio off, but it was definitely louder with the window down than I could hear at the dash. Third is what sounds like a fan, but I only hear this while outside the car after driving on a hot day or if it starts charging on a warm day. Other than these, I have not noticed any other out of the ordinary sounds.

JejuSoul - thanks for the tip. I turned off the fuse box but the sound was still there. It's clearly coming from the dashboard area, same as kmaluo experienced. Any thoughts about that?

Ralyon: yes, it's the 2nd sound. Clearly how loud it is depends on our hearing, but I'm often the person bothered by a cheap light bulb's ringing sound.

Argh...

The beeping sound when backing up and the high pitched whistle when driving forward are both made by the VESS (Virtual Electronic Sound System). It is a small speaker by the front fender to warn pedestrians. JTEL this cannot be the sound you hear because this could not be made when the electrics is off. The sound you hear must be something moving (fan, pump, liquid...).
How hot is the car when you hear this sound? How long does it last?
Two other sounds not yet mentioned that I hear. The Electric Water Pump makes a distorted buzzing sound like the pump in a fish tank. you hear this when the motor gets to about 50C. If you turn the AC on and then off you hear water pouring / dripping. Presumably the water going back into the reservoir.
In a gasoline car you would probably never hear these sounds because the noise of the engine is too loud.

Well, I really appreciate your trying! It's definitely not the beeping sound nor the musical tone the Soul plays at slow speeds. The sound always emits, regardless of hot or cold, just started or driven for a while, low or high speeds or stopped completely, A/C on or off, etc. The radio can drown it out but it's clearly still happening; if the music gets quiet, I hear the sound, even on the freeway.

I also sometimes hear it on other electric cars when they drive past (notably the Nissan LEAF). It's a distinctly electronic whine - the kind you sometimes hear from other electrical items like light bulbs, computer monitors, etc. Any other thoughts?

At this point, I figure I've got a few options:
a) deal with tinnitus (ugh)
b) put something on the dashboard to absorb the high-frequency sound
c) install an active noise-canceling device - not headphones (do these even exist?)
d) figure out what the heck is causing it and replace/disable it
e) sell off my lease (bummer, love the car in every other way!)

Ok, so I turned off the car and stayed in it for a few minutes and the whine stopped! It started again as soon as I hit the power button. So this seems to be connected to the electronics that stay on when you turn off the car.

Does that help narrow it down?

does anyone know the location of the slow moving speaker? doesnt sound like a car or engine at all in my opinion
i cant see it visably..has anyone unplugged it? does result in a check vehicle light?

Is there any correlation to whether or not the climate control is on or the seat fans are on? Alternately, I suppose it could be a frequency emanating from the Nav/radio head unit. I had a GM car ('08 Corvette) that had an obnoxious little fan in the GPS system that would come on from time to time and it could be heard over the engine at idle.

My particular Soul makes the same noises every else's car seems to make. Namely the synthetic low-speed exterior sounds, the high-pitched whine at speed which can be heard reflecting off of buildings with the windows down, and cooling pumps/fans when charging.

As a litmus test, have you tried driving another Soul EV and seeing if it's specific to your car or a trait of all Soul EVs?

Back