Having Health Issues Due to Driving the Kia Soul EV?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socalgal

I purchased the 2016 Kia Soul EV+ and I noticed after driving the car for about 3 weeks that I got headaches, hot and tingling feet and other stress symptoms the more I drove it. Especially high speeds and a daily driving time of about 30 minutes seems to make it worse. Has anybody else experienced something similar?

I got headaches, hot and tingling feet and other stress symptoms

drive with OFF ventilation circuit and full open glasses (the 4 open).
it's only the smell of the new car (like i wash the car by a pro company, i have this smell every month).

classic.

other idea : up the temperature in the car (20°C is too low for the Kia big AC system, i set 22-23°C).
other idea : drive with heated seat, perhaps the seat discharge more temperature from your body than the older seat.

I've driven my Soul 13,000 miles with no such effects, and some members have driven much more. Is this your first new car? Have you ever found yourself sensitive to the 'new car smell' in other vehicles? Is anyone who rides with you similarly affected?

The Soul EV interior uses many plant-derived materials in the interior, so I would expect less off-gassing than from the standard plastics found in most cars. That said, leaving your windows partly open while parked will help air out any off-gassing from the the materials used in your car.

I found some other tips for you: http://www.ecotouch.net/blog/how-to-get-rid-of-that-new-car-smell/

I first thought it was the new car smell and assumed that I that was just stressed out with other things in my life. I didn't tell anyone about my headaches, including my family who was frequently driving with me in the car. However, when my 9-year old daughter complained about headaches after long drives with me in the car, I got suspicious. In addition, I spent a long, rejuvenating weekend without the EV in Mexico and when I returned driving the Kia Soul EV, the symptoms came all back again within days. I switched cars with my husband at the time since he is not affected by the EMF at all and I got all better again. I was incredibly sad since I loved this car and wanted to make it work.

I went to a doctor specialized in EMF sensitivity and after some tests, it turned out that I have the gene that makes me more sensitive to EMF. About 5% of the population are severely sensitive to EMF and about 30% of the population are somewhat sensitive due to their genetic markers. I'm in the less severely group since I drove hybrid cars for many years before the Kia Soul EV and never felt a thing. The severely sensitive people can't even use a computer, Bluetooth or wireless devices without getting affected by it.

Socalgal said:
I first thought it was the new car smell and assumed that I that was just stressed out with other things in my life. I didn't tell anyone about my headaches, including my family who was frequently driving with me in the car. However, when my 9-year old daughter complained about headaches after long drives with me in the car, I got suspicious. In addition, I spent a long, rejuvenating weekend without the EV in Mexico and when I returned driving the Kia Soul EV, the symptoms came all back again within days. I switched cars with my husband at the time since he is not affected by the EMF at all and I got all better again. I was incredibly sad since I loved this car and wanted to make it work.

I went to a doctor specialized in EMF sensitivity and after some tests, it turned out that I have the gene that makes me more sensitive to EMF. About 5% of the population are severely sensitive to EMF and about 30% of the population are somewhat sensitive due to their genetic markers. I'm in the less severely group since I drove hybrid cars for many years before the Kia Soul EV and never felt a thing. The severely sensitive people can't even use a computer, Bluetooth or wireless devices without getting affected by it.

Wow, that's really interesting, especially since you had a hybrid car before and there was no issue. Very odd. Also, the multitude of EMF that are around us all the time.. Does your cellphone also cause issues?
I've never heard the EMF genetic connection before, nor an actual doctor that specializes in that sort of thing.

Would you mind posting some links to the medical practitioner and any academic research/notes that involve this? I think that would be very interesting reading.

Thanks, and I hope you feel better.

well, if you are EMF sensible ... it's only at sound level.

for example, the 17kHz emitted by the motor drived by the controller (audible part, classic in a full EV with big torque possibility).

mecanical part of the reductor can resonate with this 17kHz noise and participate to the whole "EMF sensibility" related (noise).

so, in many time, the EMF sensibility is only a problem with the high frequency noise of devices (faraday cage don't help in this case).

Kia Soul EV (like all others EV) is a full faraday cage (for the motor box and the battery box).

It emit nothing inside the cabin driver.
it emit EMF from the motor box to the road, it's true (plastic low protection).

other idea : do a test (1 week) with glove (don't let it in the car when you don't drive!).
i think about a reaction with the steering (static electricity because steering is heated and a little plastic covered to the maintain the leather over the time).

you can try this with leather glove, golf glove, mecanical glove (for car repairing), garden glove, etcs ...

SoulEV2016 said:
well, if you are EMF sensible ... it's only at sound level.

for example, the 17kHz emitted by the motor drived by the controller (audible part, classic in a full EV with big torque possibility).

mecanical part of the reductor can resonate with this 17kHz noise and participate to the whole "EMF sensibility" related (noise).

I appreciate your knowledge and sharing your recommendations. However, I don't think we are talking about the same thing. The EMF (electro-magnetic field) that causes my health symptoms is measured in milligauss not kHz.

I also know that the MPE (Maximum Permissible Exposure) levels are much much lower in Europe. Here in the US, the legal limits are crazy high and have not proven to be safe for consumers (and don't have to be?). I don't have problems using my cell phone or any other wireless device. The size of the battery in the car is just so much bigger that it must be exponentially higher EMF it radiates that a tiny cell phone. It literally seems to fry my feet and brains (no exaggeration).

I recorded some videos and put them on YouTube since there is so little information about this issue. Is it okay to put a YouTube link on this forum? I'm new to this and I respect the rules of this community.

Socalgal are you the same person who posted this video on youtube - 2015 Kia soul EMF readings published on Jun 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCewxCrfa-k

About the units - the correct SI unit of measurement of a magnetic field B, which is also known as the "magnetic flux density" or the "magnetic induction." is the tesla (unit T)

100RSD_front.jpg

There is a study here which compares the maximum magnetic field strengths in various forms of electric transport.
Electric vehicle magnetic fields and their biological relevance

Code:
• Tram 500 μT
• Metro 425 μT
• Trolleybus 325 μT
• Electric Comuter  AC Train 196 μT
• Electric DC locomotive 150 μT
• Electrified (hybrid) car 120 μT
• Light track 104 μT
• Electric shuttle bus 80 μT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Electromagnetic radiation has been in the news a lot this week in Korea after the government decided to place a THAAD missile battery in the farming village of Seongju.

Farmers-egg-Park-over-THAAD.jpg

Officials use umbrellas to protect South Korean PM Hwang Kyo-Ahn from eggs and water bottles being thrown by angry protesters as he visits Seongju
http://atimes.com/2016/07/south-korea-pm-pelted-with-eggs-in-protest-against-thaad-deployment/
The farmers are upset that electromagnetic radiation from the radar station will damage their melon crop.

In response the government organised a tour of Anderson base in Guam to check radiation levels.
20160718001331_0.jpg

from http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160718000845

Socalgal said:
However, I don't think we are talking about the same thing. The EMF (electro-magnetic field) that causes my health symptoms is measured in milligauss not kHz.

I understood correctly the first time.
Radiating device emit magnetic pulse signal.

Pulse signal from the EV is not the same than the mobile phone device.
But it's the same as microwave toaster and radar and wifi (MHz-GHz range, 15dB per meter in USA, 11dB per meter in Europe).

Radar and mobile phone don't have faraday cage.
EV and microwave toaster have faraday cage.

EMF signals of an electric car are often confused with those we hear when making music (children and adolescents more hear that people over 30 years).

It's the frequency range from 15 kHz to 18 kHz (19 to 20 kHz can be hear at very quiet environnment like in theater and with regulary source test to identify this range).
That's why i explain that Kia Soul EV emit high frequency noise first (not EMF) to keep focus your mind in this direction.

I heard this (but i force myself not to hear, and it's not a problem for me, i use regulary brushless motor with PWM square signal or high regulate sinus signal, same noise is heard depend on the power current applied).

That why i recommend you to use a hearing aid to suppress the 15-20 kHz range ... and see if better body reaction is seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

Use this video to test your sensibility to this, specific range close your ear-drum or causes specific reaction in the head (specialy from the 8kHz range to 11kHz).

JejuSoul said:
Socalgal are you the same person who posted this video on youtube - 2015 Kia soul EMF readings published on Jun 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCewxCrfa-k

ah, i see ...

unplug the ionic system : http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4414#p4414

:mrgreen: simple.

SoulEV2016 said:
Radiating device emit magnetic pulse signal. Pulse signal from the EV is not the same than the mobile phone device. But it's the same as microwave toaster and radar and wifi (MHz-GHz range, 15dB per meter in USA, 11dB per meter in Europe).

The symptoms she describes are similar to what I've heard described by someone sensitive to microwave ovens, so it's interesting to find that EV EMF is in a similar spectrum.

meter (µT meter ?) move only when AC is ON and at front of ventilation (ions ? static electricity from particules ?).
unplug the ionizer (ionic cluster) : http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4414#p4414

that why, in my first answer, i have pointed to drive with opened windows (ventilation in OFF position).

JejuSoul said:
No, the video you mentioned is about the 2015 Kia Soul EV and doesn't show the measurements when DRIVING the car. I'm the one who created the YouTube Channel "EMF in Electric Cars".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhevP8lhL8A

I came across this older thread and wanted to share my experience:

— I just got a 2018 Kia Soul EV+ and it’s making high frequency pitching noise all the time the vehicle is on.

— While test driving, I was wearing a hat which was covering my ears and couldn’t hear that tinnitus style noise.

— It’s coming from the dashboard area. I played with all the available settings, including the screen brightness, but nothing helped. The high frequency electronic hissing sound is there all the time and is really annoying.

— Dropped it off at the dealer’s, their service department is claiming they can’t hear anything. :)

— I have driven other EVs for over 5 years before Kia Soul EV. Most recently, Ford Focus Electric. None of them were making high-frequency sounds whatsoever. I have normal hearing, no sensitivity to anything.

Just a thought, maybe your sensations were caused by a similar high-frequency noise but you just couldn’t hear/register it?

I will look into the ways to record the sound and share here.

Back