Level 1 Charger Cord Stolen

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddhaauthor

Grrrrr, someone stole my charger today (yes, during the day) while I was out. Now I'm deciding if I should replace it (but I can't find one anywhere) or step up to a Level 2 charger.

Is a replacement even available? I've been searching and can't find one, perhaps because I don't really even know what it's called.

man that sucks. im sure its an available part from kia. however an L2 would probly be of better use.
i was curious what would stop somone from just taking your L1 charger but clearly nothing. also what is to stop somone from unplugging your L2 when parked at a public station.

buddhaauthor said:
Grrrrr, someone stole my charger today (yes, during the day) while I was out. Now I'm deciding if I should replace it (but I can't find one anywhere) or step up to a Level 2 charger.

Is a replacement even available? I've been searching and can't find one, perhaps because I don't really even know what it's called.

Very sorry this happened to you! I guess you must have the misfortune to live in one of the very, very few places in the country where there may be enough of a concentration of EV's that a thief might actually be able to "fence" a hot level one EVSE!

As for your question of what to do to replace it -- there should be no problem buying a direct replacement through Kia of their stock Level One EVSE. Likewise, there should also be no problem buying one of the several compatible Level One EVSE's available from independent providers (eg, Clipper Creek.)

The bigger question is whether or not this theft should serve as a motivation for you to upgrade to a Level Two EVSE. The answer to this depends on a combination of your driving patterns (which drive your charging needs) and your wallet.

A Level Two EVSE will significantly cut the amount of time you need to charge your car, but installing a Level Two EVSE at home will also cost way more than just buying another portable Level One EVSE. If your driving pattern is such that on more than maybe just one or two nights a month you need the faster charging of a Level Two unit in order to be able to cover whatever total round trip distance you need to drive when you leave your house the next morning, then you should pay for buying and installing a level two EVSE.

Otherwise, maybe just replace your Level One and see how it goes. Even if you do eventually opt to get a level two unit, it will still be wise to carry a spare level one unit in your trunk. :)

Again, sorry you have to even be thinking about this.

When I used the L1, I plugged it in inside the garage, and ran the cord under the door. They would have to pull the large square box near the plug under the door.

When I switched to an L2, I added a 2x2 board to the bottom of the door, and left a gap at the end for the cord to go thru. So the door stops when the 2x2 board hits the ground, but never touches the cord.

@tiburonh: Yes, I'm in Hollywood and I guess that's a sleazy enough place that thieves figured someone would want my hot EVSE.

The first good news is that I've now explored my garage and found a 125v subpanel there with three available slots for new circuits. That means I only need a two-pole 40a breaker, 15 feet or so of 10 gauge wiring, and a 240v receptacle and I'm good to go for a full-on Level 2 charger. The second good news is that LADWP is still doing their $500 rebate on Level 2 chargers. Heck, they only cost $500-600! So, for me, a Level 2 charger is far cheaper than than replacing the Level 1 charger. I'm going to go over to the Battery and Charging forum and see what people like these days.

Thanks for the encouragement.

buddhaauthor said:
@tiburonh: Yes, I'm in Hollywood and I guess that's a sleazy enough place that thieves figured someone would want my hot EVSE.

The first good news is that I've now explored my garage and found a 125v subpanel there with three available slots for new circuits. That means I only need a two-pole 40a breaker, 15 feet or so of 10 gauge wiring, and a 240v receptacle and I'm good to go for a full-on Level 2 charger. The second good news is that LADWP is still doing their $500 rebate on Level 2 chargers. Heck, they only cost $500-600! So, for me, a Level 2 charger is far cheaper than than replacing the Level 1 charger. I'm going to go over to the Battery and Charging forum and see what people like these days.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Excellent. You will not regret it moving up to a Level 2. My one additional suggestion now is to make sure you check out what options your local utility offers in the way of rate plans for EV users. Up here in the SF Bay Area, PG&E has an option for EV owners that let's you move on to a special time of day based rate plan. Which means you can (especially when using a Level 2 EVSE) always do your overnight charging at the lowest off-peak rates. For me (bear in mind that I don't have or need AC in my house up here) this turned out to mean that even though my total electric usage went up by about 40% per month once I got an EV and a Level 2 EVSE and started charging at home, my actual total electric bill went DOWN by about 10 to 15% per month. So, not only am I not paying for gas any more, I am actually paying less for my electricity! As always, YMMV, but it's worth checking out.

Just a heads up that to meet code you may need a disconnect box as well. An air conditioner disconnect rated at 240V and 40A or more is pretty cheap.

As it turns out, my LADWP rebates requires the charger be installed by a licensed contractor. So an electrician will be doing the job and I'm sure will know what is required. (He comes along with the charger I'm buying for a flat fee of $300 plus some extra for longer wiring.)

Oh, and LADWP offers me a 2.5 cent lower rate for charging at night but requires a time of use meter that I have to have installed. The install cost would never cover the rate savings for me. Glad to hear that PG&E is more solar-friendly.

Back