Pre heating the Cabin

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astro57

Hi, I just picked up my 2017 Kia Soul and am trying to find out how to preheat the vehicle while charging if I decide that I want to go out in 15 minutes. In other words, unscheduled trip. Can I just go out and do that in accessory mode? I have searched but no clear answer found.
Thanks in advance

While the car is charging, you can push the Start button twice and you will be able to heat the cabin. I do this regularly living in Norway with cold climate. This morning we had minus 5 degrees Celsius, and I put in the charger, hit the button twice and had a comfortable temperature of 22 degrees when I drove off 30 minutes later.

If it is plugged in, you should also be able to use the Evo app to toggle the climate control. That is, if you have access it the app (not all regions get the app)

While in this mode and plugged in, I understand the charge cable is providing power for HVAC.
What about the all other electronics, dash and other stuff? It runs from 12V right?
Would this drain 12V if left for 20 min say?

If you are preheating on the timer then all the 12V electrics are off.

If you push the "start" button twice without your foot on the brake AND you have the cable plugged in AND the charge now button is pushed in, then the 12V is charged as well as the traction battery. You can see this in the dash, have the charge now button out the cable plugged in and do the two pushes on the start button - the 12V battery warning light will come on in the dash. Now push the charge now button in so the car starts charging and the 12V battery warning light will go out.

slobodanc said:
I understand the charge cable is providing power for HVAC.
What about the all other electronics, dash and other stuff? It runs from 12V right?
Would this drain 12V if left for 20 min say?

in charging mode, scheduled climate system is fully operate from high tension battery.
in charging mode, 12v ACID battery is charged from 13,8v to 14,4v.

when charge is complete, 12v ACID Battery is only the main supplier of current.
so, when you use a 1kW EVSE like me and a scheduled climate at -5°C ... yes, the high tension battery is discharged.

But only during the starting time of the HVAC (pump system) because the HVAC requiered less than 1kW after that (~ 800w) :

t3t7zq.png

That's a fantastic graph. Thanks. I get to see another use for the VMCU climate PIDs. Here it is used for the regulation of the cabin temperature. Previously I'd seen it used to regulate the OBC temperature during charging.

Be carefull ... in charge process, not all PIDs are avaible (freezed values).

example : VCMU Climate 1 & 2 work ... but information is not avaible on CanBUS (like VMCU temp of controller and motor = freezed at the last value).

notfred said:
If you are preheating on the timer then all the 12V electrics are off.

If you push the "start" button twice without your foot on the brake AND you have the cable plugged in AND the charge now button is pushed in, then the 12V is charged as well as the traction battery. You can see this in the dash, have the charge now button out the cable plugged in and do the two pushes on the start button - the 12V battery warning light will come on in the dash. Now push the charge now button in so the car starts charging and the 12V battery warning light will go out.

Which button is the Charge Now Button? Is that the Set Schedule Button below the radio or the Deactivate Reserve Charge Button to the left of steering wheel? Also do you need the key in the car when you press the start button twice and can you take it back out after pressing the start?

Thanks

I'm talking about the "Deactivate Reserve Charge Button to the left of steering wheel".

Yes, you need the key in the car when you push the start button twice but you can exit the car with the key once it is in that state. It will do the "Key not in vehicle" long beep when you close the drivers door, but it will keep preheating.

Thanks for the information on pre-heating. I tried the method at lunch, plugged in, hit the start twice and press the deactivate button and the cabin started to heat. Took 5 to 10 seconds for the fan to start up but started putting out heat shortly after that. ALso the battery warning light went off in the process so knew all was well. Thanks again.

Scheduled heating of the cabin at 0°C.

Conclusion = Need a 3,1 kW EVSE setting if you don't want loose the battery charged over night at 100% when you pre-heat the cabin.

3,1 kW = 1,1kW EVSE + 2kW Average consumption on RED line.

065ZYR.png

Free LOGs (ODS - LibreOffice) : http://up.sur-la-toile.com/i1ipF (miroir = http://www.4shared.com/file/4jvuG1LIba/trackLog-2016-dc-01_09-30-14.html )

In this particular Scheduled task, not all CANBUS PIDs are available like the charger or the VMCU.
So, bluetooth OBD2 can not be hack the car without the smartkey.
LOGs indicate this.

SoulEV2016 another great chart, thanks.
There is also a discussion on this topic in the German forum. - Kia lädt nur bis 98%

This car is charged to 100% overnight and then preheated. Am guessing the EVSE is providing 3.3kW (220V * 15A)

The power coming from the cable is not enough to fully heat the car hence the main battery is also used. The battery loses 2% of its capacity.

This happened with ambient temp -7C

Back