Buyers Remorse

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astro57

Had my 2017 Soul EV for 9 weeks now, issues since day one. they have swapped parts ordered some incredibly expensive controller from Korea, now they have ordered another part from Korea, meanwhile it sits. Unfortunately no lemon laws in Ontario Canada and no parts in North America.

I only had mine for not even 2 months at this point and I love mine as well. The only remorse I have though is not having a longer range.

mtndrew1 said:
What was the problem that required repair?
It started out with a charging issue for the 12 volt battery, they swapped a module from another car and that problem was fixed. This happened before I took delivery and was not aware of it until much later. Next issue was the ev light coming on as well timed charging could not be programmed. Then they ordered a new module and tried install that but failed. So they put back the original module and did some upgrade. Car worked and charging was programmable now. Three days later a stop driving error came up as well as some other lights. Now they think the immobilizer has to be replaced at the same time as the module. More parts from Korea. Kia in Korea has been connected to our car remotely trying to figure it out. So now it sits and we wait , no completion date provided.
To all those having good luck, I'm glad , don't wish it on anybody, just wish they would fix it or replace it.

I am having my PTC heater replaced.
Indeed analysis of non-trivial problems can take a very long time, about 3 weeks for me, although in the middle of holidays.

So if everything works then indeed good times, but when something has to be fixed it can take a very long time.
Hopefully with time and more experience this issue will be resolved long term.

slobodanc said:
I am having my PTC heater replaced.
Indeed analysis of non-trivial problems can take a very long time, about 3 weeks for me, although in the middle of holidays.

So if everything works then indeed good times, but when something has to be fixed it can take a very long time.
Hopefully with time and more experience this issue will be resolved long term.

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully your issues will be resolved soon and then you can get on enjoying the vehicle. :D

Astro57 said:
mtndrew1 said:
It started out with a charging issue for the 12 volt battery, they swapped a module from another car and that problem was fixed. This happened before I took delivery and was not aware of it until much later. Next issue was the ev light coming on as well timed charging could not be programmed. Then they ordered a new module and tried install that but failed. So they put back the original module and did some upgrade. Car worked and charging was programmable now. Three days later a stop driving error came up as well as some other lights. Now they think the immobilizer has to be replaced at the same time as the module. More parts from Korea. Kia in Korea has been connected to our car remotely trying to figure it out. So now it sits and we wait , no completion date provided.
To all those having good luck, I'm glad , don't wish it on anybody, just wish they would fix it or replace it.

Oh man that sucks.

If it is any consolation, I just got a used 2016 with 18,000 miles (29,000 km) and it is in good shape, yours should turn out just as well in the long run. I have killed the 12v battery while running upgrades etc. may be a broader issue.

In the long run this should be a great car for you!

MrFlibble said:
Astro57 said:
mtndrew1 said:

Oh man that sucks.

If it is any consolation, I just got a used 2016 with 18,000 miles (29,000 km) and it is in good shape, yours should turn out just as well in the long run. I have killed the 12v battery while running upgrades etc. may be a broader issue.

In the long run this should be a great car for you!
You may be right about the broader issue. I had a discussion with the dealer on Friday, it sounds like there is no fix at this point but one is being worked on that will be applied to many vehicles, not just mine. Some of the errors I have had, others have had too. I brought mine to the dealer with the errors lit up and did not turn it off so they could see it. Next day someone from Kia Canada was there looking at it and communicating with the factory. The service Manger said he had never seen a vehicle get so much attention from such a high level. Me, I just want the car back.

I had some problem with the soul ev when it was new but a firmware update fixed it. I was frustrated too but I don't mind it too much since I pressured them to give me a courtesy car. Did you get one?

I just got my heater replaced.
Grand total about 3 months :O

It took about 1.5 months for diagnosis followed by another 1.5 months waiting for replacement heater part.
I was lucky due to holidays (no need to commute to work) and later milder weather so I managed without heat for a while.
Still that is way too long.

Not having replacement heater part in Canada and having to wait for it to ship from overseas!?!?!?! wow

fanbanlo said:
I had some problem with the soul ev when it was new but a firmware update fixed it. I was frustrated too but I don't mind it too much since I pressured them to give me a courtesy car. Did you get one?
I did get a rental, we also made them pay for the gas since our cars are electric and we don't buy gas. Apparently it is ready to be picked up today. I was told that all attempts of replacing individual modules failed so Kia instructed the dealer to strip a new vehicle off the lot and put a set of matching modules in to ours. I will post an update later.

I think if KIA was really worried about customer satisfaction they would have just swapped your car for a similar one. I don't think the cost would be significant to them. Obviously this is a rare case but that makes it even a better case for a more drastic correction. Now what happened to you will always play a role when you go to buy another vehicle. Your initial experience with KIA, if it is your first KIA, is a bad one and you may decide to go elsewhere on your next car purchase. It doesn't seem like they made the best decision.

Good luck with your car.

EV2016 said:
I think if KIA was really worried about customer satisfaction they would have just swapped your car for a similar one. I don't think the cost would be significant to them. Obviously this is a rare case but that makes it even a better case for a more drastic correction. Now what happened to you will always play a role when you go to buy another vehicle. Your initial experience with KIA, if it is your first KIA, is a bad one and you may decide to go elsewhere on your next car purchase. It doesn't seem like they made the best decision.

Good luck with your car.

Yes, I think they made a poor choice as well. No from Kia Canada one has made an attempt to even talk to me. My next vehicle will be electric but not a Kia.

I have the car back, three days later EV light again. Apparently they forgot a calibration after changing the module. The module needs to know the exact position of the motor. Now I see that it no longer has Apple Car Play. I guess they missed an update. Visit the dealer again tomorrow.

I feel like we are about to head down this road. We took it in a month ago for the OBC and they did not pay for our rental car. This morning the car didn't seem to fully charge(started at 2AM at 8% and wasn't done at 6:59AM when pre-conditioning started) while my wife was driving to work the car flashed the turtle and slowed the car and she had to pull over. Restarting the car cleared the turtle but then it happened to her several more times, luckily she was right outside her school when it happened and not on the highway.

I'm going to be pretty upset with Kia if we don't get better treatment this time around... off to the customer service line :(

An update, quite overdue I guess. The vehicle has been fine for four months now. I don't really have a clear answer of what was done but it sounds like they robbed modules from a working vehicle to get mine working. After a few months of discussion about how to make things right for the inconvenience, they have given us an extended warranty package.

Back