New owners ... what range are you getting?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iletric

Please post your experiences. Distances at what speeds please. Note that it takes a few days' worth of charging and discharging before your battery settles in. You normally get more range after at least a few of those.

Also, how is GOM performing? (Leaf-coined "guess-o-meter" i.e. display of miles remaining).

Please post.

ilectric,

I've had my 'clear white' soul ev for three days now. Showing 118 miles consistently fully charged.

120V (level 1) charge = 3.5% perhour of charging, 220V (level 2) charge = 22% perhour of charging*???*

Miles remaining seems accurate.

Considerable torque when I push the pedal to the metal.

: )

-- I love this car!

* too early to give a solid figure.

Just preliminarily: what does that 116 number drop to once you hit the freeway at 65? That's when the real-world range rears its head. At least with my Leaf.

Because I do know this car does not do 116 miles at 65 mph.

I'm not sure.. there seems to be a sweet spot at 66mph on the freeway.

Regen with minimal braking while in traffic or coasting down a grade can make a BIG difference in range of course.

-- cheers.

My wife only drives a few miles each day but the GOM is very accurate. I don't see a problem with hitting 114 miles on a full charge.

Just got mine yesterday and took on first long-distance trip today. GOM showed 98 miles with it fully charged at the beginning. After 56 miles of driving (90% on freeway at 65-70 mph), it showed 44 miles. In other words, we drove 56 miles and the GOM dropped by 54 miles. I was impressed with the accuracy.

We just started trickle charging at home, and it seems to be charging 4 miles of range per hour of charge so far.

Unlike the Leaf where remaining miles would vary widely (randomly) with driving,
Kia seems to have a more sensible algorithm. I've been driving freeway at 65+
and city, with climate on, and still getting over 100 miles consistently. San Diego
weather, so nothing very cold or hot. Always shows 105 to 115 miles range
when I start out full charge. Trips where I would return home in my Leaf with
5 miles left have 40 to 50 miles left, the difference between my
"3 bars down" 2011 leaf and this is night and day!!

-- Vinod

I've had the Soul EV since Nov 1, and so far my best tests of full range are as follows. I only drip charge my car using 120V at about 4% per hour of charging. I only use 240V at charging stations (very rarely).

Trip #1 (early Nov, temperature in the 60s and 70s F):
76 mile trip started at 100% charge with about 62 miles on highway at 70 MPH and 14 miles at 30-40 MPH. Note, I live on a steep mountain, the last 3 miles usually drain about 10% of the battery instead of 3%. At the end of this trip I had 8% battery left.

Trip #2 (late Dec, temperature in the 40s F):
55 mile trip started at 100% charge with about 48 miles of highway at 70 MPH and 7 miles at 30-40 MPH. I had 38% charge remaining (no steep hill on this trip).

Trip #3 (late Dec, temp in 40s F):
55 mile trip back (after full charge using 240V charging station) with about 48 miles of highway at 70MPH and 7 miles at 30-40MPH. I had 25% charge remaining (last 3 miles of steep climb home).

Trip 2 and 3 were actually on the same day. It was a very cold day, so I think the range was impacted. Basically did a 110 mile trip on 137% charge. Also of note, this trip was along I-280 in the bay area, which is very hilly. Trip #1 was along highway 101 which is much more flat. I've noticed significant degradation in range when traveling hilly areas. I always drive in Eco and B mode, and most of the highway driving was on cruise control.

Also, of note is my typical daily driving:

Start at 80% charge (coasting down our mountain adds about 5% in B-mode).
43 miles (50% highway)
Arrive at base of our mountain with 45% charge, and use another 10% for last 3 miles.
Arrive home with 35% charge.

I've noticed in the last week of really cold weather (high 30's overnight) that this has degraded my daily commute range by about 15-20%.

Back