January Software Update a Good Thing?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddhaauthor

Hi all,

I just learned about the software update that happened a month ago. I figured I should update, but there's some griping about it on the Facebook Soul EV group. What do you all think? Any glitches? Any new features? Any real reason to update? (I use my Apple CarPlay, courtesy of the last update, every single day, but I miss knowing speed limits, lost courtesy of that same update.)

I've found it better - Android auto connects more reliably, backup camera comes up faster. Haven't noticed any bugs.

No kidding, super impressed with the car other than a few UVO3 bugs in my factory version! My original software had an occasional bug where the camera would stay on once you went to drive too! Haven't had that either since the Android Auto first update.

Grasping at straws I would add that really wish the AV system would turn itself off when I remove the USB cable connecting my device. Instead it starts playing the radio. That is terrible programming. And also not really important.

I got this email from Kia this morning:

"In case you've updated your vehicle's software and noticed limited UVO capabilities, an update that improves such capabilities has been made available on myuvo.com. This update is optional and does not affect your vehicle's support for Apple CarPlay™ or Android Auto™."

Does anybody know what they are talking about here?

buddhaauthor said:
Grasping at straws I would add that really wish the AV system would turn itself off when I remove the USB cable connecting my device. Instead it starts playing the radio. That is terrible programming. And also not really important.

I like that action actually. Guess that's best to be a setting.

tiburonh said:
I got this email from Kia this morning:

"In case you've updated your vehicle's software and noticed limited UVO capabilities, an update that improves such capabilities has been made available on myuvo.com. This update is optional and does not affect your vehicle's support for Apple CarPlay™ or Android Auto™."

Does anybody know what they are talking about here?

No.... and when I went to look on the web page it said I'd already downloaded the update (which I had done with the January update). Odd that they'd be telling us about it in email so much after the release.

I've noticed the faster response of the backup camera (both coming on and shutting off when putting the car in D/B) after the update. So far nothing else. I don't always plug my iPhone in so am not always using ApplePlay. There may be improvements there but I haven't spotted 'em yet.

So far I haven't updated the software. Did I read that one of the updates deletes the speed limits on the map? That would suck because I live in a slightly rural area and often I don't see a sign for a while but the speed limits show on the map. I would hate to see that go away. I never understood why they remove features unless they just don't work.

Back