Just leased a '16 Soul EV

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synergy3214

Hello All,

I was on a lease with a 2015 Volt, until I was rear-ended and the Volt was totaled. And so, what an interesting time for this to happen. Here in MA, the Bolt was just arriving at dealership, and I was dead set on leasing one of those. 238 miles of range I thought, amazing! However, after driving one (wildly uncomfortable front seats), and outrageous lease pricing ($499 a month with 3k down) I decided to look elsewhere. I looked at the Leaf, fusion energi's, and none caught my eye.

Then I decided to check out the Soul EV, needless to say, I was driving home the Soul EV later that day. I think i scored an awesome deal ($175 a month, 0 drive off, and 12k miles a year), for the regular model EV w/ nav, heated wheel, etc.

I've had the car for about a month, and it's been seriously cold in MA these past few months, and the car has been great. Of course the range isn't all that great due to the weather, but i've been impressed nonetheless. What is disheartening though, is that I don't think I've ever seen another Soul EV on the road. It really is fantastic EV, yet people seem to flock to Volts and Leafs first. Hardly any of the EV sites/forums even mention the Soul EV; the Soul EV seems to be the best kept secret in leasing an EV deal, anyone agree?

Anyway, looking forward to being an active member of this forum (the volt forums are wildly active, so hoping we can have the same activity here).

Cheers for now,

Agreed. I've got 3 colleagues with Leafs and others have commented on how much nicer it is to ride in the Soul EV than the Leaf if we go out for lunch. If they just bumped the battery size up a bit to help with range in winter and fixed the head unit (slow to boot and in Canada hundreds of dollars for updates) then it would be perfect.

Agreed! I'm getting my leased 2016 next week. I honestly didn't even know there WAS an EV version until it popped up in a FB discussion. More people need to know about them.

Out of curiosity, what's your range been like in the past few months? I'm just over the border in NYS, so I'm curious what to expect.

I don't mess around with turning the temperature down (21.5C for me!) or driving gently, I have plenty of range for what I need (max trip 60km, max day 85km). I do drive in B mode and in winter I add Eco to cut down on the torque on slippery roads. In summer I'll just be in B.

Through winter my guessometer has been showing 100km to 105km range on a full charge. Looking at the rate I've been using battery % that has been overly pessimistic for most of the winter, but definitely correct on the coldest days.

With the temperature now just above the freezing point I'm definitely gaining range, seeing more like 105-110km these mornings.

Hey there Astevens,

My range hasn't been all that great, due to the below freezing temperatures we've been having recently. On a full charge I reckon around 75-80 miles with the heat on, and Eco mode engaged. The heating system is wicked efficient in the Soul EV so don't feel too terrible if you leave it on (I usually set it for 72-74). Mostly this is due to the battery being cold. I can only charge via trickle charge at my apartment and only when I really need it, so my battery usually gets nicely cold soaked overnight.

So i'd recommend, if you can, to always try to start driving right after the Soul has finished charging, or while it is charging. That way it has some residual warmth from charging.

I've definitively seen a difference when I do a nice long 20 minute Chademo charge, obviously the battery is warmer and my battery percentage does not drop as fast.

Just pulled the trigger in 2016 EV+, no sunroof package, but heated battery ev+ package etc... for $199/month 36 months 12K/yr, Money factor 0.00073, 1.75% with only 1st month and DMV fees due at signing. 0 down taxes rolled in etc...., $19400 rebates in NY. Did the updates on UVO. was pretty easy. Very pleased.

I too just picked up 16 ev+ on lease (199/month, 36 months, no money down). So far I love the car and have been pleasantly surprised with its handling. I had a question though, for the range "guestimate" does anyone know how thats calculated? When I got the car 3 weeks ago, it was 114mpe on a max charge and now its 105. What causes it to go down so quickly? Is it making real time estimates based on previous drives or something? Also is it better to run the battery down before charging or can I just charge it every night? My commute only takes 15% battery every day.

every 200km, the Soul EV Theorical Range recalculate.
if you want a realtime/real-condition Range estimation ... use Torque Pro !

I have made a panel just for this, because ... when i travel at high speed (cruise), i need an real estimation to reach the next Chademo Charger (40km between then).

http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=471&start=170#p5404

kgCo8w.gif

For best battery life you want to keep it around 50%. As you have a 2016 then you should have an option on the timer to charge to 80%. I would just use that and only plug it in every 3rd day or so if you are really only driving that far.

notfred said:
For best battery life you want to keep it around 50%. As you have a 2016 then you should have an option on the timer to charge to 80%. I would just use that and only plug it in every 3rd day or so if you are really only driving that far.

Thanks. What's the reasoning of not charging to 100%? I usually charge it once every 3 days now (my total commute is 26 miles a day). I use the level2 charger at my office.

The main thing that kills batteries is heat, but the Soul has a battery fan to help cool it.

Running all the way down to 0 and all the way up to 100% is also tough on the battery. The Soul actually has a larger battery (30.5kW) than advertised (27kW) because the Battery Management System computer basically lets you use the middle portion of the battery capacity to ease the strain on the battery. As the battery capacity decreases with age then the margins at the sides are used up.

Why charge to 100% and put that little bit of extra stress on the battery if you don't need it? In the summer I charge to 80% all the time. In the winter the range loss means that there are some days where I know I'm heading out in the evenings where I will charge to 100%.

Synergy3214 said:
Hey there Astevens,

My range hasn't been all that great, due to the below freezing temperatures we've been having recently. On a full charge I reckon around 75-80 miles with the heat on, and Eco mode engaged. The heating system is wicked efficient in the Soul EV so don't feel too terrible if you leave it on (I usually set it for 72-74). Mostly this is due to the battery being cold. I can only charge via trickle charge at my apartment and only when I really need it, so my battery usually gets nicely cold soaked overnight.

So i'd recommend, if you can, to always try to start driving right after the Soul has finished charging, or while it is charging. That way it has some residual warmth from charging.

I've definitively seen a difference when I do a nice long 20 minute Chademo charge, obviously the battery is warmer and my battery percentage does not drop as fast.

how would you charge while driving?

You can't. Synergy3214 means either time your charging cycle so it finishes and then you start driving, or even unplug it while it is just getting to the end of the charging cycle. That way the battery is warm from charging and so gives you greater range.

Back