New owner, new questions !

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guiacan

Hi,

I just bought a 2017 fully equipped (panoramic roof, titanium paint). It was the demo at the dealership and had 7000km (4300 miles) on the odo. It probably sat charged between 90%/100% for extended periods of time so I decided to bring the battery down and do a full charge.

I managed to bring it down to 17% than I plugged it in. The charging is set to start at 6 in the morning and the auto conditioning to be ready at 7h10. I usually don't need more than 1 hour a day to charge on level 2.

But, since my battery was at 17%, I bypassed the timed charging with the physical button on the left of the steering wheel. The charge started immediately, no problem.

But, this morning the car was cold. The auto conditioning didn't start. Why ? My theory is that the car being at 100% at, say, 3 or 4 in the morning stopped pulling electricity from the charger. The charger interpreted that as a disconnect so the car thought it was disconnected hence no auto conditioning... Any idea ? Any reference on this ? Charger is a ClipperCreek LCS-25 (they were popular back in 2013...)

My next question is about the autonomy. This morning, with the battery at 100%, heating off, the range was 150km (exactly the EPA advertised 93 miles). It was 8C (46F) out. Is it good? I'm worried that the battery suffered from the 6 months sitting at the dealership.

Thanks !

Yes, there seems to be a bug in the preconditioning that if a scheduled timed charge doesn't run then it won't do the preconditioning. I've got a 2016 where I can charge to 80%, if the battery is above 80% and I have a charge to 80% setup then the precondition also doesn't run. It's like once it errors out on one timed task it doesn't try any future ones.

That sounds good on the battery range, the best way to know is to actually read out your battery deterioration values using an OBD-II dongle and Torque Pro on an Android phone. You can find a huge thread discussing this in the Technical Discussions forum:
http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=471

guiacan said:
I'm worried that the battery suffered from the 6 months sitting at the dealership...!
A sensible worry. We have a car from Phoenix that probably suffered that exact fate. It is now getting a replacement battery.
But you do not live in Phoenix. I am guessing you are north of the border. It is the extreme heat that destroys the battery , particularly when the car is left at 100% charge, outside all day in the sun, parked in the dealer's lot.

Another way to test the battery is to do a long test drive and see how far the car really goes.

Back