Charge Port Lock

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtec26

Hi. New owner here. The manual only mentions that the charger is locked into the port when the door locks are engaged. I'm wondering if there is a way to not lock the charge port while the doors remain locked. (I'm not talking about the charge port door, I'm asking specifically about the charger that's inserted into the charge port).

The reason for my ask is that my work has free L2 chargers. As a condition of use, we must leave the charge port unlocked. I'd like to adhere to the rule while also keeping my doors locked. Is there any work around? Thanks.

Lock the doors first and then plug the charge handle in.

The charger lock is just a pin that gets pushed out when the doors lock. It isn't held out and can be pushed back in, either by the charger handle or you can just push it in with your finger before plugging the charger handle in.

Hi there...do we know for sure that this method will work? I am picking up a 2018 Soul EV on Saturday and the dealership next to my work is letting me charge there during the day but only if I'm able to leave the charger unlocked. It appears however once you lock the car that the lock mechanism stays in place.

So to confirm, If I lock the car and then put the charger in this will work? the charger can be removed?

LTDubb said:
Hi there...do we know for sure that this method will work? I am picking up a 2018 Soul EV on Saturday and the dealership next to my work is letting me charge there during the day but only if I'm able to leave the charger unlocked. It appears however once you lock the car that the lock mechanism stays in place.

So to confirm, If I lock the car and then put the charger in this will work? the charger can be removed?

I'm not sure about this, but I heard they removed the locking mechanism entirely on the 2018. If you could confirm this on the forum, it'll be great.

LTDubb said:

Just to close the loop on this, it does indeed work this way. Two options are:

(a) Plug In >> Lock Vehicle = Plug is Locked in place and cannot be removed

(b) Lock Vehicle >> Plug In = Plug is Un-Locked and is removable

Use option (a) when you want to ensure nobody can remove the cord and end your charging session early, or you're using your portable charging cable and you don't want somebody to steal it.

Use option (b) when you don't mind if somebody pulls out the cord when you're done so that they can charge too (or you're ok if someone interrupts your charging session by unplugging you early).

Back