Navigation Maps Update

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1979mini

Just wondering if anyone has every copied the SD card from a car with a new map update into another SD card to be used in another car.

I just did the map update to 12.5 for North America last weekend. The process includes entering the vehicle's VIN and the Device ID Number for the head unit installed in the vehicle.

From that, I'd assume that it's only going to work in one vehicle. If you copy everything over to a second SD card and try to load it into another vehicle it'll probably fail a validation check when the Device ID Number of the 2nd head unit doesn't match what's on the SD card.

I didn't review the files on the SD card to see if there was any way to overwrite the Device ID. You'd have to find where it's stored in all of the files to even try that, and even then there's a good chance that it's encrypted. All that said, it wouldn't surprise me that a more technically inclined person may be able to dig into things and get away with it.

CanadianLurker said:
I just did the map update to 12.5 for North America last weekend. The process includes entering the vehicle's VIN and the Device ID Number for the head unit installed in the vehicle.

From that, I'd assume that it's only going to work in one vehicle. If you copy everything over to a second SD card and try to load it into another vehicle it'll probably fail a validation check when the Device ID Number of the 2nd head unit doesn't match what's on the SD card.

I didn't review the files on the SD card to see if there was any way to overwrite the Device ID. You'd have to find where it's stored in all of the files to even try that, and even then there's a good chance that it's encrypted. All that said, it wouldn't surprise me that a more technically inclined person may be able to dig into things and get away with it.

hows the update any visual changes other then map points list?

nibularr said:
hows the update any visual changes other then map points list?

Nothing major. They claim they made the map visual a little better by adding contrast so that streets stand out better. Can't say it looks much different frankly, but does seem like it may be a bit better. Certainly not worth it IMHO for just this change.

Here's the list of updates over the past several releases, so nothing major in the interface or usability since Apple/Android release (other than the map contrast noted above). They do show the counts of POI data for the last few releases so you can do some math and see how much the POI data changed....

http://download.mapnsoft.com/mapcare_download/Software/v12.5/pdf/KCI_New_Map_Features_128S4.pdf

ah
when i was at the Toronto auto show the display soul EV had a darker blue font and newer icon.
it looked like a few new menu features

was hoping that would get updated as well for the 2016's

1979mini said:
Just wondering if anyone has every copied the SD card from a car with a new map update into another SD card to be used in another car.
Not sure as of Americas or Korea, but for Europe it's as easy as copy-paste, no binding or so.

Back