Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neel said:
ksoul2084 said:

Well 20000km extra mileage isn't much really. I think you're over-thinking it (I do this too). :)

Sounds like you're game for the "adventure" of dealing with a warranty battery replacement yourself, and well situated to do so geographically. I'd say go for the best deal you can negotiate then and plan on getting the battery replaced yourself.

yes Ksoul , you are right , i am overthinking , this is first time i am buying Electric car , so many things spinning around head
after reading onboard charger( OBC) replacement issue , i am swinging between from high millage driven with new battery + OBC (15 month warranty left over) Vs lower millage driven with longer warranty (30 month) . in case if OBC or Battery issue (definately gonna happend) i ve enough room to fight for warranty , this is my overthinking , ...

More important than the mileage difference, IMHO, is the actual condition of the tires, suspension, and brakes on these cars. The higher mileage ones might have fresher tires on them, for example.

Did you have an opportunity to examine these aspects?

YES,
Tomrrow i have to take test drive for both, i already check tires , are good , suspention should be ok ,
check AC / heater / sensor etc ,and he will add all missing acceseries etc, also my plan to check with torque app
for HV batteries etc. if all ok , than i will place deposit , thanks

Neel said:
- in short for (Gamble on) 113000 KM car , HV battery replacement warranty will be on my shoulder , but other wear and tear will be less that will be my benefit am i thinking right way ?
Yes. I would make the same choice as you.
I did buy a used Soul 2015 EV a few months ago. I didn't worry about the OBC.
The previous owner didn't know, and I didn't check with Kia.
Your fears have made me have a look to check.

You have to stick your hand holding the phone down behind the OBC and take a photo of the sticker.
In this case it's a 2016 sticker, so I must have a new OBC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are actually two stickers on the OBC. The one at the front says Daewoo and has a date. The sticker at the back says Mando and has the version number. See photo below - taken by Nibularr

thank you !! today or tomorrow morning i will go and get some pictures , and make some deposits
also guy send me Carfax , its clean no accident , as well it came first on road OCT 2016 means , last quarter of 2016 , close to 2017
** i call kia with VIN # and they told me on 88k they replaced the Transmission , but OBC and battery still original means i ve to deal with future, not sure in EV ( or Soul EV ) the transmission is actually Transaxle means ( motor + Gear box ) combined as one unit !!
if it is means it has new motor too ??

thanks

notfred said:
Transmission is replaceable separately from the motor.
thank you !! for share input , appriciated
btw , regardless either i pick the car , i ve to remove bracket from roof , any idea how big holes i ve to fix on roof ?
can i fill with bondo or TechSteel epoxy putty with fiber / wiremesh cloth ?
any picture available how to remove tohose bars ?

thanks

Neel said:
notfred said:
Transmission is replaceable separately from the motor.
thank you !! for share input , appriciated
btw , regardless either i pick the car , i ve to remove bracket from roof , any idea how big holes i ve to fix on roof ?
can i fill with bondo or TechSteel epoxy putty with fiber / wiremesh cloth ?
any picture available how to remove tohose bars ?

thanks

Update : i finallize the low millage 113K ,and gave depost , by next sunday it will in my driveway , than exterior restoration / fix and post some picture, i spin the car 15KM with Air Con , and modrate to fast in * B mode battery left 57% charged with estimated 57KM as per deshboard numbers, i guess with 100% charged it will be 100-115 KM in between , but i will physcially confirm once i had car and charged in my garage.

Hey Everyone, crazy this forum is getting so big.

I just brought one of these cars into KIA (the dealer who sold me the car said the battery was newer, which it wasn't, just the charging system.)

Kia is replacing the battery with a brand new one, I brought it last week, left it there for 3 days, they just got back saying its getting a brand new (not refurbed) battery. takes a month to come in and apparently the whole job is over 20 000$, but covered by KIA of Canada.

If anyone wants updates on how this goes or is interested in the story or wants me to post updates I can.

Brief history, bought the car May 31, showed range of 122 km, drove home, charged only showed 107, now i get a max of 86km at 100%, i only charge between 20-80, but clearly the battery system was reset before selling the car to me.

After driving and using Soul EV Spy, SOH was at about 62%.

I drove to the closest EV dealer (87 km, i made it believe it or not on 1 charge) They handled it without issue, they said they already replaced the batteries in 2 other of these taxis.

I went to Lockwood Kia in Oakville, so far amazing staff.

FueledUpRooster said:
If anyone wants updates on how this goes or is interested in the story or wants me to post updates I can.
Yes. Please do. This thread on ex-Teo taxis is the most interesting on the forum at the moment.
From the testing done 2 years ago the average car in this taxi fleet was losing 2.2% of the battery every 10,000km.
On average the battery would need replacing at 130,000km.
From the numerous stories on this thread that seems to have come true.

JejuSoul said:
Here is some info on a talk by Thierry St-Cyr from Taxelco (Téo Taxi, the EV Taxi company in Montréal — http://teomtl.com). They have L eafs, Soul EVs, and T eslas in their fleet.

They are doing range testing with Téo Taxi and the IVI institute : the put the car on dynamometers and run the car to empty.

They calculate an average degradation of 2.2% every 10,000km driven However, their situation is special because most of the time they charge on DC fast c hargers (77% of the time). This is higher than the degradation we are seeing on most of our cars.

FueledUpRooster said:

I just brought one of these cars into KIA (the dealer who sold me the car said the battery was newer, which it wasn't, just the charging system.)

Kia is replacing the battery with a brand new one, I brought it last week, left it there for 3 days, they just got back saying its getting a brand new (not refurbed) battery. takes a month to come in and apparently the whole job is over 20 000$, but covered by KIA of Canada.

Brief history, bought the car May 31, showed range of 122 km, drove home, charged only showed 107, now i get a max of 86km at 100%, i only charge between 20-80, but clearly the battery system was reset before selling the car to me.

I drove to the closest EV dealer (87 km, i made it believe it or not on 1 charge) They handled it without issue, they said they already replaced the batteries in 2 other of these taxis.

Thank you for sharing info. this is really helpful , i already purchased one , it will come on sunday , its 113K driven , when i got test drive GOM showing 63% charged with 60KM range , but after finish 10+KM test drive with B mode , GOM shows 56% with 56KM range , still no idea what actual SOH left , but will find out more after sunday ,

** btw your car , did dealer repainted roof or fix roof hole and touchup ?? if you don't mind to share more info. please

sorry for delay update,
i got one last sunday , and busy with removing texi stuff and making family car again , ... almost done , now reach at paint touch up for roof,
its not originally Green its metalic , that vinal peel is removed by seller , so i got metalic light blue OR Metalic turquoise kind
anyone know where to get almost matching touch up paint ?
i am in toronto , so update within area , thanks

Neel said:
FueledUpRooster said:

Thank you for sharing info. this is really helpful , i already purchased one , it will come on sunday , its 113K driven , when i got test drive GOM showing 63% charged with 60KM range , but after finish 10+KM test drive with B mode , GOM shows 56% with 56KM range , still no idea what actual SOH left , but will find out more after sunday ,

** btw your car , did dealer repainted roof or fix roof hole and touchup ?? if you don't mind to share more info. please

Hi Neel,

I bought my car from a small Toronto Dealer, no touchups. I still have my taxi roof signs, I removed all the electrical myself and found the keyfob spare under the console.

Update on battery replacement:

It's on backorder, which I expected 100% with what I have read before, needless to say I still drive the car everyday.

They give you an option at the beginning, leave the vehicle with them or take it back until the battery comes in. So if you decide to leave the vehicle there I think it's your own fault when you become upset it's been over a month.

KIA has offered to tow the car to them when the battery comes in, and has also stated if the range doesn't meet my needs they will rent me a car at their expense. I don't want to pay for gas so I am keeping my car until the battery comes in.

Will update again when I hear about replacement date, I believe I went there September 25th and had 0 hassle with the dealer.

Thank you for update !!
i got 3 days ago my KW902 , and tested my SOH right after 23 km drive with speed 65-80 KM/H , 2 degree temp outside, with climate control on 23.5 degree, after 23 KM drive i stop charge left was 65% and GOM was 61KM with my KW902 with soul spy SOH was 95.6%
the car already has 113K and now 117K , i am not sure is this SOH is correct OR am i doing something wrong ? should i measure SOH when 100% charge or less than 20% charge left ? thank you in advance

Alright after my last post on Nov 20, KIA called me literally about 30 minutes after I posted, the battery came in! I dropped it off on November 25 and got it back a few days later, battery showed 150km at 100%, I drove 170km on that charge, so pretty happy so far, the range has been going up after every charge now as it calibrates. I charge to 80% and am getting about 140km a charge on it, so lasting me about 3 days.

So pretty happy so far! 0 hassle, didn't cost me a dime in the end for ANYTHING.

Lockwood was so good to me, bought another car from them.

Could not have asked for a better service.

After I got the car back I decided to take the taxi brackets off, as one was letting water through where the wire was protruding. You have to take the back seat out, then all the side panelling and pillers to remove the roof liner. After that you can see the bolts for the bracket, I was lucky all of them came off with my impact gun except 1 which I drilled it out from above, took a couple minutes.

They are a pain in the a** to take off the roof though, the adhesive is very tough, I used some braided fishing line to cut into about half of the adhesive and was able to pop it off with a lot of force. I hammered some of the denting out after, looks decent. Vinyl was underneath so adhesive wasn't a problem to clean off either.

I used some Hammond Electrical box plugs from the electrical store, they are a metal painted cap with a gasket underneath that are water and oil resistant, they have a washer and wingnut for the underside. I used 9 total 5 of them were 3/4" cover 4 were 1" cover.

All in all, pretty happy with this car, got it for 12500, kia dumped way more money into it, and now it's like new with a lot of range.

One tip I would give anyone getting these, do NOT chimp out on the brakes, do not get aftermarket brakes, they do not meet the tolerance requirements to slide properly and can do more damage than good, especially with the regen braking and lack of use.

NRS Brakes in Toronto makes OEM Galvanized dipped steel pads which are corrosion resistant and are made with proper clearance specs for the slider within i believe 0.01mm tolerance. You will not regret a proper pair of pads, they will last years longer than the aftermarket (1-2 years maybe). A set of pads for the whole car is going to run you about $380 with tax, but they are proper, and with the minimal maintenance this car requires you will not regret spending the small amount extra. Save you the mileage later when the aftermarkets begin sticking to the sliders and causing some small amount of friction.

Neel said:
Thank you for update !!
i got 3 days ago my KW902 , and tested my SOH right after 23 km drive with speed 65-80 KM/H , 2 degree temp outside, with climate control on 23.5 degree, after 23 KM drive i stop charge left was 65% and GOM was 61KM with my KW902 with soul spy SOH was 95.6%
the car already has 113K and now 117K , i am not sure is this SOH is correct OR am i doing something wrong ? should i measure SOH when 100% charge or less than 20% charge left ? thank you in advance

My car had the same issue with the battery, the SOH will eventually show the true state, the BMS was probably reset. mine was at 75-80 and after 4 months settled at 60% SOH which was the true state of the battery, which is why I claimed the warranty. My Soul has 144000km

I bought my 2016 Kia Soul EV about a month ago. It is one of these former Teo taxis, and has 130,000 km on it.

At first, the GOM would predict 145 km on a full charge, but that number would go down every day. Now, a month later, it only shows 113 km on a full charge. I took it to a KIA dealer today and they said the SOH was 89%.

Do these numbers make sense?

I drive it mainly on city streets, with only some highway. I charge it to 100% every night in the garage on a L1 charge.

FueledUpRooster said:

exzetly , all this work i did by my self , removed maximum wires by my self ,
regarding battery , i got my car octomber as per today i drove 4000KM , i purchased on 113K
i charge randomly will all kind of charger home with i got GOM all diffrent value but now winter already started so its range is droped
here is my data -
L1 charger - GOM 128KM
L2 220v / 30 AMP - GOM- 138KM
than i install L2 at home 220v/16amp - 125KM
in between i charge with L1 charger few time too with assuming that BMS will reset properly
i charge everyday 100 % and as winter started (0 to -3 C. )in closed garage - i am getting GOM - 113-118KM
by all above i got my KW902 and i tested my SOH - its pops 96.6%
morning 100% charge GOM -113KM - tested with soul spy and kw902 * SOH 96.6%
driving whole day in 0 to -6 C temp. GOM 60KM - i tested show - SOH 96.5%
few times is tested SOH when GOM only left 15KM - and tested SOH - 96.8%

all above data is about 45 days - with mixed charger - colder weather - few times i drove 125KM on highway before charge
i am bit suspisious or not sure , i never got GOM 140KM or above (when temp 25 around before winter) ,
now i am getting GOM 108KM with L2/220v /16 amp

question is in mind present SOH is 96.6 % is this SOH possible correct ?? or still BMS will reset ??

Back