Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi ,
this is my present HV battery status on MY2016
help needed to understand what is representing of the parameter with Red circle on Torque screen shot ?
is there anyway to know if HV battery replaced or not ?
because SOH % and GOM doesn't match or its look like
help appreciated , thanks in advance.
present SOH % 97-98% based on bellow screenshot ,

100% SOC - GOM display 108KM ( temp. 0 to -12 C ) - no heater on
100% SOC - GOM - dispaly 127KM ( Temp. 18 to 25 C ) - no heater / ac on

means . is SOH vs GOM match or closer with each other ?
because if SOH is 97-98 % , i suppose to get range (120km ( winter ) & 140km around in summer ) isn't it ?

thanks

zCnkcZt.jpg

G1p73kK.jpg

Pearson said:
I bought my 2016 Kia Soul EV about a month ago. It is one of these former Teo taxis, and has 130,000 km on it.

At first, the GOM would predict 145 km on a full charge, but that number would go down every day. Now, a month later, it only shows 113 km on a full charge. I took it to a KIA dealer today and they said the SOH was 89%.

Do these numbers make sense?

I drive it mainly on city streets, with only some highway. I charge it to 100% every night in the garage on a L1 charge.

Hi Pearson ,

Using a level 1 charger daily is not recommended for charging your car. Would be ideal to get a 240v 16amp or higher Level 2 charger.

If you can help it charging between 20-80% would yield a longer lasting battery. Also make sure you do not get home and plug it in right away.

I believe some of the manufacturers will now void your warranty if you continually use L1 charging.

Some of the small dealers had the BMS reset to show a higher range, when in reality there is an underlying problem that will take a few months to surface.

Neel said:
hi ,
this is my present HV battery status on MY2016
help needed to understand what is representing of the parameter with Red circle on Torque screen shot ?
is there anyway to know if HV battery replaced or not ?
because SOH % and GOM doesn't match or its look like
help appreciated , thanks in advance.
present SOH % 97-98% based on bellow screenshot ,

100% SOC - GOM display 108KM ( temp. 0 to -12 C ) - no heater on
100% SOC - GOM - dispaly 127KM ( Temp. 18 to 25 C ) - no heater / ac on

means . is SOH vs GOM match or closer with each other ?
because if SOH is 97-98 % , i suppose to get range (120km ( winter ) & 140km around in summer ) isn't it ?

thanks

zCnkcZt.jpg

G1p73kK.jpg

I think the Max KWh you got circled there is just the Max draw it has ever seen at one point in time.

The car is rated for 150KM, so 97% battery health would give you about 145KM MAX,

Remember though the car can vary day to day based on driving conditions. Cold weather can cause a drop of up to 30% of your range as well. Lots of road resistance will lower your range, your GOM is just that, a guesstimate, like any range on any vehicle.

I park my car in a heated garage and get about 145km on 80% charge in the winter o far, GOM shows 125 @80%, always get more than what is shown. I rarely go on the highway, most of my commute is 60/80km. I get about 170+km on 100% charge. (mind you i just got my battery replaced, but my fried battery only showed 81km @100% and i would get about 115km on the charge.)

I charge to 80% every 3 days on average, I drive about 127km in those 3 days. Always have about 20-25km of range left when plugging in.

Also driving in B mode when you can will increase your range, proper alignment (if you bought one of these I would get the alignment done, even if you switch tires, as well as brakes if they were not done, mine passed safety but few weeks later were seized and wore down to steel very quick from sitting)

Largest factor in the end will be how you drive, how agressive, or eco friendly etc...

Edit:

I know someone who has one of these since brand new, they have about 130000km on it and still have a SOH of 100% on their battery. They do not excessively charge it or hammer down the throttle.

thank you FueledUpRooster for brief info.

* so as per screen shot , my battery is 97-98 % SoH ? or should i check with kia dealer ?
because my original plan is to claim battery under warranty within year if possible ,

my present driving ( monday to friday)
** is 60 KM everyday, ( 65 -80 KM speed in general)
** B mode and Eco ON
** using heat 23 C as winter started in canada
* No highway at all
* Eco level ( Green tree is * 8 * 50% of driving )
* parking inside garage not heated
* charge with level 2 / 220v /16 AMP at home
* always charge 100% never 80% because of skeptical GOM
* charging everyday , when start charge always GOM left min 30km-max 50km
** weekend same routine sometimes hwy 20km distance with 110km/h
i also get down GOM 2-3 times till 15km and charge , but never got GOM 140 km or around

so only two question to know ,
** should i believe soul spy and torque SOH % value ?
** should i charge 80% atleast 2-3 time a week to reset BMS so GOM is according SOH % ??

thank you !

It's been a while and been meaning to report in on my ex-Teo purchase.

The car makes me smile almost every day.
It completely lives up to my expectations. Also my first Android auto experience - so nice, SiriusXM a plus.

My habit until the first snowfall was to charge it Friday nights. Did my 25km daily with ease almost always in "B" gear. Sometimes topped it off in a weekly underground free L2.

Currently at 125K and it was a great rest of summer into fall. Little kids love driving in daddy's electric car and I love showing it to friends. Really wish I found the 2nd fob under the shifter - put in a few dealer inquires to purchase/program and no one got back to me. Seems like self-sabotage to not have a second way to start the car. The vinyl roof wrap to cover and hide the black plugs is lasting great and I love it.

Utility / Tons of room: 2x4's, kids+dog, crammed tons of building supplies in there, usually around two car seats. It fits ski's but I don't know if I can get it up to Barrie and back to Toronto on a single charge! Would love to try if someone let's me know about EV chargers on any hills!

The start of winter gave me pause.

1) SOH is about 90% (stopped testing it regularly after BMS reset itself) and from the first cold night outdoors GOM dropped to around 98km when charged. Surprisingly didn't change much when I parked it plugged inside my garage.

2) scheduled indoor temp feature is really appreciated.

3) climate control is generally quite good (heated seats awesome) but really would like to be allowed to use re-circ air when heater and defroster are on. Often the combo or even just one disables the re-circ in various conditions. Haven't read up on it yet but I hate breathing in ICE fumes in my often bumper to bumper or city construction laden drives.

3.5) I assume it's my use of climate control that sometimes leaves me in the 55-65km range after a single round trip from 100% in the cold. So I charge almost daily.

4) Most pressing - it's been an adjustment to get comfortable in the snowfalls, pre-cleared roads but especially going up what I used to consider reasonable inclines that haven't been cleared by the city.
A) full torque at 0km + ice/sleet/snow ; another reason to only drive defensively, as if I needed one. You can't reliably do a quick acceleration if you need to because you can easily spin those wheels.

B) I get this isn't my family's Subaru, but I was expecting grip akin to my previous 2000 FWD Camry thanks to the well distributed heavy battery. I could not go uphill on 3 different occasions and had to slide/turn-around. SUV's pass me annoyed. (Not that I was the only one who had trouble)
My tires are all-weather sno rated in good shape - an upgrade according to my mechanic - similar to those, I figure, that I had on the Camry. But this Kia can't do it - regardless of how I modify my driving style.

I saw that there is a winter tire thread - will check that out sometime on this holiday break.

Awesome car - I hope the GOM returns to 145-150km when the warm weather returns - and I better go find that fob on eBay and hound a GTA dealer for a price and time to configure it.

Recently I submitted my ownership story to a podcast I listen to called Reinverted. I'm curious to how everyone else's taxi is holding up and what other's have done to fix common issues like the door locks not matching the keys or the backup camera that seems doomed to fail eventually? Now that I've had my battery replaced under warranty I'm more motivated this year to resolve these other issues finally.

For those curious about the podcast:
https://www.reinverted.com/podcast/episode/389c76a6/2016-kia-soul-ev-review-after-154000-km-and-65-battery-health

Also worth noting that anyone can submit their ownership story to the podcast. This episode was just a summary of the information I sent in, hopefully in the future I'll actually be on the podcast to talk about the Kia Soul EV in more depth. There's lots of things owners need to know about this car and hopefully podcasts like this and owners like us can help others looking to get these secondhand.

EVDee said:
Recently I submitted my ownership story to a podcast I listen to called Reinverted. I'm curious to how everyone else's taxi is holding up and what other's have done to fix common issues like the door locks not matching the keys or the backup camera that seems doomed to fail eventually? Now that I've had my battery replaced under warranty I'm more motivated this year to resolve these other issues finally.

For those curious about the podcast:
https://www.reinverted.com/podcast/episode/389c76a6/2016-kia-soul-ev-review-after-154000-km-and-65-battery-health

Also worth noting that anyone can submit their ownership story to the podcast. This episode was just a summary of the information I sent in, hopefully in the future I'll actually be on the podcast to talk about the Kia Soul EV in more depth. There's lots of things owners need to know about this car and hopefully podcasts like this and owners like us can help others looking to get these secondhand.

Thanks, David. As another data point, I purchased a green-and-white 2018 last year and the original battery has held up well so far.

I would add that since the knowledge required to purchase, own and operate an EV is not ubiquitous as it is for ICE vehicles, it is a good idea to join an organization like http://www.EVSociety.ca that can provide answers from a pool of experienced EV owners. They can also help with questions like, "what are my options for charging if I live in a condo?"

Back