Setting up Torque to show BMS data

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-
Edit - Hacking the navigation computer risks bricking the system. I do not recommend anyone try this.
-
Some German users have found a way to install torque pro onto the head unit of the car.
They do this on the I oniq Electric, but the same technique should be available for our car as well.
German YouTube Video : - Hyundai und KIA - Torque Pro und ABRP direkt im Multimediasystem nutzen!

To succeed on the Soul EV we need to get into engineering mode. The access code seems to be different from that shown for the I oniq in this video.

There's another video which shows better how to get into engineering mode and install the files.
Russian YouTube Video : - How to HACK Navigation/Multimedia systems KIA/HYUNDAI and install third-party applications

Note the warning -

Soul EV 2016, can't get in engineering mode.
Any clues how to?
Does someone know the brand and model from this system?

-
The engineering mode hack doesn't work on my car either.
I will open a new thread for discussion of this topic, because it is not really relevant to Torque.
-
Hacking the navigation computer risks bricking the system. I do not recommend anyone try this.

JejuSoul said:
-
Some German users have found a way to install torque pro onto the head unit of the car.
They do this on the I oniq Electric, but the same technique should be available for our car as well.
German YouTube Video : - Hyundai und KIA - Torque Pro und ABRP direkt im Multimediasystem nutzen!

To succeed on the Soul EV we need to get into engineering mode. The access code seems to be different from that shown for the I oniq in this video.

There's another video which shows better how to get into engineering mode and install the files.
Russian YouTube Video : - How to HACK Navigation/Multimedia systems KIA/HYUNDAI and install third-party applications

Note the warning -

-
A long and fairly dull video by Jack Rickard showing how to setup Torque on a T esla M odel 3.
The useful parts are the detailed history of the OBD port, and methods for analysing the CAN data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZWjmN4KG6A

JejuSoul said:
...Some German users have found a way to install torque pro onto the head unit of the car.
Note the warning -

Maybe the warning should have been stronger. Hacking the navigation computer does risk bricking the system.
A bricked system here - I oniq Forum - Setting up Torque to show BMS data
McTrex said:
...Now when I start the car, the multimedia unit stays at the Hyundai logo startup screen and doesn't react to anything anymore.
I've tried
- shutting down and restarting the car
- Pressing the reset pin next to the volume button
- Attaching a keyboard to the USB adapter and pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del, the screen flashes and then the logo comes back up again.
So, have I bricked my multimedia system?...
-

Hacking the navigation computer risks bricking the system. I do not recommend anyone try this.

Another bricked system here - Ioniq ev 2019. Bricked headunit.
So my head unit got bricked due to a software update and I had 3rd party apps installed. I didn’t know I had to factory reset it before software update. Either way it’s not covered by the warranty.
-

So far so good, my optima PHEV had no problem, and I installed waze and spotify.

-
I have uploaded the Torque codes to show BMS data on the new 64 kWh Soul EV.
Github: OBD PIDs for the 64kWh Kia Soul EV - Years 2020 to ...
I'd appreciate it if someone could test that it is working.

Some codes in particular I think are wrong.
Code:
000_Battery Cell Voltage Deviation
000_Rapid Charge Port
000_State of Health
These are all copied from from the K ona files, which were copied from our original Soul EV files.

Some new codes that I haven't tested for, or included yet.
Code:
000_Charging,Charging,0x220101,val{000_BMS Main Relay}-val{000_BMS Ignition},0,1,,7E4
001_Odometer,Odometer,0x22B002,((i<24)+(j<16)+(k<8)+l),0,200000,km,7C6
002_Vehicle_Speed,Vehicle Speed,,0x220100,ad,0,147,km/h,7B3

Hi Guys,

I've setup Torque and imported BMS and BMS2, in terms of understanding if my battery is eligible for replacement , what value(s) am I looking for ? I thought it was SOC, but that just seems to display how charged your battery is in %

State of Health (SoH) is what determines how good or bad your battery is. There are two caveats:
1) We don't know how Kia calculates SoH for warranty. We use the average of the worst cell and the best cell in Soul Spy and Torque Pro.
2) The car only recalculates how bad the cells are if you drive it to less than 20% and then recharge to 100% in one charge.

notfred said:
2) The car only recalculates how bad the cells are if you drive it to less than 20% and then recharge to 100% in one charge.

I thought we must start from 100%?

-
You are both correct about calibration.
The battery calibration thread is here :- Battery Calibration
Elmil said:
I always have the calibration at 392.5 +/-0.1V battery voltage, 4.08V (0xCC) cell voltage and 91.5-92.5% SOC.
Calibration occurs on the final charge just before 100%.
There's a recommendation on the Battery University site to do a battery calibration once every 3 months.
See :- BU-603: How to Calibrate a “Smart” Battery

calib1o5jd9.jpg

-

Also from the previous page in this thread I linked a YouTube video which showed how to hack the navigation computer to install Torque directly into the car. Hacking the navigation computer risks bricking the system. I do not recommend anyone try this.

-
I have added a second method for calculating the State of Health SOH of the 27kWh battery.
Code:
004_CALC SOH Failing Battery,Bad SOH,2101,110-val{000_Maximum Deterioration},0.0,110.0,%,7E2
This calculation only considers the deterioration of the worst cell. It, is only based on the Maximum Deterioration.
Not on the average of Minimum and Maximum Deterioration.
For battery packs where a single cell has failed this makes sense. It is irrelevant what the state of the 95 good cells are if a single cell has completely failed. A single failed cell means the entire pack fails.
I am calling it Bad SOH because it is the value used when the battery goes bad.
Recent data for cars with failing batteries all show a Minimum Deterioration of zero and a very high Maximum Deterioration. - Soul Spy? Thread

What we don't know is at what point the BMS software decides the battery has gone bad, and starts ignoring everything but the worst cell.

On this site: https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs the plugin HKMC-EV-Torque-Plugin is mentioned. My google-fu fails me and I can't find this at all. What am I missing?

-
The plugin was a great idea that was never completed.
It was intended to automatically detect and download the files need for your car.

Given that it was not in a usable state and is never going to be finished, I have removed all mention of it.

Hello.

First, thank you for all the effort and work to gather all this precious info.

I've been looking at VMCU data particularly to the Motor Torque data bellow:

003_VMCU Motor Torque Command;2102;(Signed(L)*256)+K;-3000;3000;Nm

And I'm seing this type of values:

Which are within the expected range (-3000 to 3000) but way off the specs (max torque for motor is 285Nm as per Kia's datasheet).

Any one knows how should I interpret this values?

Thanks.

Hi Watchdog,
Thanks for the data. Sadly I can't give you a good answer.
I wrote the original Torque commands for the VMCU data, but that was after someone else had done the hard work of analysing and decoding the CAN messages. I have never studied the VMCU data, and haven't ever matched these data points to what the real values should be.

The first time I uploaded the VMCU codes was in 2016 here - 2016 post from - Setting up Torque to show BMS data
At that time the codes looked like this
Code:
, Vehicle Motor Control System VMCU data for Kia Soul EV using Torque Pro
Name,ShortName,ModeAndPID,Equation,Min Value,Max Value,Units,Header
003_VMCU Motor RPM,rpm,2102,((j<8)+i),0,10000,rpm,7E2
003_VMCU Motor Torque Command Nm,Torque Command,2102,((l<8)+k),0,10000,Nm,7E2
003_VMCU Estimated Motor Torque,Est. Torque,2102,((n<8)+m),0,10000,Nm,7E2
003_VMCU Motor Phase Current RMS,Phase Current RMS,2102,((v<8)+u),0,10000,rms,7E2
003_VMCU Motor Temperature,Motor temp,2102,w-40,-40,200,C,7E2

The codes have been updated since then - to fix the code for negative values - I will continue looking to find our why the range was changed to + and - 3000.
The 10,000 I put in originally was probably a random guess.
Given the actual Max Torque is 285 Nm, it is probable that the current number is ten times too big.

-

Separately this is the first time I have noticed the code 'Motor Phase Current RMS'. This may well be the value for Battery Stress that I have long been hoping to code. see :- 2017 post from Setting up Torque to show BMS data
'Battery Stress' is related to lower efficiency, and higher heat in the battery.
I believe it is also linked to degradation.

-

Back