stroom

Re: 2015 Soul EV: My Battery Replacement Story

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 am

I did not quite understand what the author of the topic wanted. If you want to know the status of your battery - do a test! And provide it to the court.

jando1st

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:10 pm

Hey all, Happy Holidays!!
Does anyone know if the new Kia/Hyundai 64 kWh battery will fit in a 27 kWh 2016 Soul EV?
Dimensions, physical connections, BMS etc?
Sorry if this is a dumb question I’m a newbie to EV’s and just had my battery replaced under warranty. The range has already dropped from 96 miles to 86 miles in about a month. Cant find anything written about upgrading one.

Kish

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:49 pm

jando1st wrote:Hey all, Happy Holidays!!
Does anyone know if the new Kia/Hyundai 64 kWh battery will fit in a 27 kWh 2016 Soul EV?
Dimensions, physical connections, BMS etc?
Sorry if this is a dumb question I’m a newbie to EV’s and just had my battery replaced under warranty. The range has already dropped from 96 miles to 86 miles in about a month. Cant find anything written about upgrading one.

Unfortunately, this will not be possible. The new generation of batteries are completely redesigned and are incompatible with the old Soul EVs. Not to mention they are physically much larger and have a different shape.

On an unrelated note, my Soul EV stopped charging today. I'm getting a "External charger Error" and the dreaded 3-LED blue blink on the dash. I tried multiple Lv2 charging stations, but looks like the OBC is toast. This car already had the OBC replaced before (by the previous owner) and was charging at 28A, so this will be the 3rd OBC on this car once it is replaced.
2015 Soul EV+ | 52k miles
2017 Bolt EV Premier | 62k miles

lemurchief

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:30 pm

I've scheduled a visit to the nearest Kia dealership to have my 2016 Soule EV+ HV battery checked. Hoping to get a replacement.
I've bought the car used with 28000mi in Sep 2019. At that time the car was showing 77mi of range, but I believe it was somehow reset and was showing the range with few samples of short drives. After a while I've bought an OBD reader and SOH was ~73%. When cold weather started, it dropped sharply to 60% and now is 52% with 34000mi, even with mild temperatures. (All measured with SoulSpy) Note: I live in Coastal Georgia, USA and the car was originally bought in Atlanta. Yes, hot summer, but winter is not so harsh.

The dealership is 60+ mi away, so I'll probably need a tow, but I'll avoid highways to try to maximize efficiency.

If anybody has any suggestion on what to do before getting to the dealership and would like to share, I'd appreciate. I bought the car already knowing that this day would come, and chose the Soul due to the 10 year warranty on the battery.

Thank you all for sharing your experience. This forum helps a lot.

lemurchief

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:11 pm

lemurchief wrote:I've scheduled a visit to the nearest Kia dealership to have my 2016 Soule EV+ HV battery checked. Hoping to get a replacement.
I've bought the car used with 28000mi in Sep 2019. At that time the car was showing 77mi of range, but I believe it was somehow reset and was showing the range with few samples of short drives. After a while I've bought an OBD reader and SOH was ~73%. When cold weather started, it dropped sharply to 60% and now is 52% with 34000mi, even with mild temperatures. (All measured with SoulSpy) Note: I live in Coastal Georgia, USA and the car was originally bought in Atlanta. Yes, hot summer, but winter is not so harsh.

The dealership is 60+ mi away, so I'll probably need a tow, but I'll avoid highways to try to maximize efficiency.

If anybody has any suggestion on what to do before getting to the dealership and would like to share, I'd appreciate. I bought the car already knowing that this day would come, and chose the Soul due to the 10 year warranty on the battery.

It was a fiasco. They claimed the loss of capacity was due to an incorrect software uploaded by another KIA dealer. I tried to tell them that a software upgrade would not bring back the capacity, at no avail.
The car ran out of battery after a 49.2mi. It was towed back to the dealer. I'm still waiting for a diagnostic.

tizjep

Wed May 06, 2020 8:11 am

I bought a 2015 Kia Soul EV from Carvana last month. It was showing about 56 miles when fully charged. It took about a month to get the logistic setup for transporting it to the nearest certified EV Kia service center (Schamburg, IL). I am scheduled for diagnostics next week... I am hoping that all goes well...

LegoZ

Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm

lemurchief wrote:
lemurchief wrote:I've scheduled a visit to the nearest Kia dealership to have my 2016 Soule EV+ HV battery checked. Hoping to get a replacement.

It was a fiasco. They claimed the loss of capacity was due to an incorrect software uploaded by another KIA dealer. I tried to tell them that a software upgrade would not bring back the capacity, at no avail.
The car ran out of battery after a 49.2mi. It was towed back to the dealer. I'm still waiting for a diagnostic.

Any update?

tizjep

Thu May 21, 2020 4:16 pm

tizjep wrote:I bought a 2015 Kia Soul EV from Carvana last month. It was showing about 56 miles when fully charged. It took about a month to get the logistic setup for transporting it to the nearest certified EV Kia service center (Schamburg, IL). I am scheduled for diagnostics next week... I am hoping that all goes well...

5/21/2020
It has been at the dealership since 5/14/2020. They had a tech look at it and have been waiting for diagnostics from KIA since then... They said that the initial diagnostic showed that my battery has low voltage.

ksoul2084

Fri May 22, 2020 6:35 am

tizjep wrote:
tizjep wrote:I bought a 2015 Kia Soul EV from Carvana last month. It was showing about 56 miles when fully charged. It took about a month to get the logistic setup for transporting it to the nearest certified EV Kia service center (Schamburg, IL). I am scheduled for diagnostics next week... I am hoping that all goes well...

5/21/2020
It has been at the dealership since 5/14/2020. They had a tech look at it and have been waiting for diagnostics from KIA since then... They said that the initial diagnostic showed that my battery has low voltage.

Can you explain in detail the process you went through to convince KIA to transport your car (assuming they did)?

I'm facing the same issue but in Canada and would much prefer if KIA did the transport of my car to the nearest E-certified KIA dealership.

tizjep

Sat May 23, 2020 2:43 pm

When I called the 800 number and told them that I suspected that my battery was causing my car problems. They offered to transport it from my local dealer to the KIA EV dealership. I really didn't have to convince them.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”