2016 vs 2017 differences worth considering?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigendian

After my local car share services shut down, I am considering buying an EV (don't own a car now). I've been keeping my eyes open for a deal on a 2017 as I read this model year introduced faster quick charging than in previous years and can be had under $15k.

However, there are a ton more 2016 models available. Is anyone familiar with the quick charge speed and/or any other notable differences between the 2016 and 2017 model years? They really look largely identical on paper, and it's not uncommon to see a 2016 with low miles.

I'm lucky in that I don't really _need_ a car and can afford to wait for the right deal to come along. Just wondering if I'm being too picky holding out for a 2017. Thanks for any feedback!

I'm not aware of any differences between the 2016 and 2017. I believe both will Chademo at over 50kW if you have a 100kw Chademo DCFC in your area. The 2018's got the 10% bigger battery.

The difference quick charge speed I mentioned came from the 2017 model year overview: https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/soul-ev/2017

Specifically—"Also new for 2017, the fast charge now provides more energy (94% of charge)...". I think this is only at DC fast charge stations and previous model years did 80% in fast charge mode, but I don't know how relevant this is to typical owners.

Ah, yes, but that's not DCFC speed, that's the battery level at which the DCFC shuts off. Honestly by the time you have charged that far you might as well plug in to a level 2.

bigendian said:
The difference quick charge speed I mentioned came from the 2017 model year overview: https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/soul-ev/2017

Specifically—"Also new for 2017, the fast charge now provides more energy (94% of charge)...". I think this is only at DC fast charge stations and previous model years did 80% in fast charge mode, but I don't know how relevant this is to typical owners.

I have a SOUL EV of September 2014 which can also DC charge till 94% after a software update already a while ago. And it also has Android Auto/Apple Carplay possibility. So there is no difference between 2016 and 2017, it is all depending if all (latest) software updates are done......

notfred said:
Ah, yes, but that's not DCFC speed, that's the battery level at which the DCFC shuts off. Honestly by the time you have charged that far you might as well plug in to a level 2.

Aha! This makes sense. Thx

ZuinigeRijder said:
I have a SOUL EV of September 2014 which can also DC charge till 94% after a software update already a while ago. And it also has Android Auto/Apple Carplay possibility. So there is no difference between 2016 and 2017, it is all depending if all (latest) software updates are done......

Wow! Sounds like the only real differences between these model years is trim? Thanks, I'm going to expand my search to focus more on miles and condition than just year. :)

I know the main thing that the 2016 has over the 2015 is a locking pin for the level 2 charger.

Until you get to the larger battery there really isn't that much difference between the model years.

Maybe a little late, but I believe in 2017 they introduced the darker wheel rims, which I really appreciate over the white ones myself. :cool:

But, more notably, I had to choose between a ‘16 and a ‘17 on the same lot just this month, and for me, the charge to 94% (though I may never need it, good to know it’s there) and the extra year warranty on the battery system justifies the few extra bucks IMHO.

Back