Where to keep spare Smart Key?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLKiaEV

So with my old ICE car I kept a spare key in my wallet because it was small and that was possible. But with the Kia's Smart Key it's a little too big to do that. So, I had an idea: What if I kept the pull-out metal key of the spare Smart Key in my wallet and kept the rest of it inside the vehicle somewhere (hidden of course)? That way, I could still get inside the vehicle with the one key and then use the other part of it to start the vehicle.

Is this a bad idea or would it be okay as long as I hid the Smart Key part well enough inside the vehicle? (Bad guys wouldn't be able to get in the car without the outer key and they wouldn't know about the hidden part).

Thanks!
Russell
Kissimmee, Florida

p.s. I like the ways that Kia tries to prevent you from locking your keys inside, but this is more of a "what if you LOSE your main key" thing.

That's not going to work. The car is going to see the smart key inside and let everyone start it.

Just keep the spare key somewhere at home. If you need it then yes you will need a ride home, but it's going to stop everyone on the street from stealing the car.

-
There is a thread about used Teo Taxis from Montreal. Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016
The taxi company stored the spare key fob under the drive shifter. It was taped up and wrapped in wire. Am not sure what the point of the wiring was.

The simpler method to store the key fob in the car without it interfering is to take the battery out.
You can still start the car by touching a battery-less key fob to the start button.

Heh heh. Yeah, I realized the flaw in my idea this morning...but then thought like JejuSoul that I could take the battery out so that the vehicle wouldn't allow starting. Of course the fob would have to be hidden really well in case some potential thief - who figured out how to get inside - knew about the starting without a battery in the fob trick.

I will probably just keep the spare at home, but it sure would be convenient if the spare was nearby rather than all the way back at the house. I'm comforted by the fact that it's hard to lock the fob inside the vehicle accidentally, but I could still lose it somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Russell
Kissimmee, FL

IanL said:
JejuSoul said:
-
There is a thread about used Teo Taxis from Montreal. Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016
The taxi company stored the spare key fob under the drive shifter. It was taped up and wrapped in wire. Am not sure what the point of the wiring was.

Probably to form a Faraday cage, to prevent the problem identified above.

Yep. The whole thing was pretty strange but kind of cool.

Was thrilled when I found my second key there. :cool:

I made a small envelope/pocket out of tin foil for when I go playing on the water. I can leave the car parked, put the smart key in the tin foil pocket, and then take the mechanical key with me. I lock the car with my mechanical key, take it with me and let it get wet, then use the mechanical key to unlock the car when I get back. The smart key just sits in the foil pocket in the car until I get back. The foil prevents the smart key from connecting to the car, so it's basically inert while in the foil. If someone were to break into the car and find the smart key in the foil pocket, they could start the car. But that's basically the same risk that people who leave their cars while surfing / boating / swimming / etc. have been dealing with for years.

You could probably stash it up under the driver's seat or something in a place a potential thief would never think to look.

Back