Anyone tried an EVdoubler-style product?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MassDeduction

Anyone tried an EVdoubler-style product on the Kia Soul EV? These are designed for us poor pleebs in North America who have only 120v outlets. These typically give you two plugs, that you insert into two 15A outlets, to give you a new 20-30A outlet. I found one on eBay that merges two 5-15 lines into one 6-20 line. I understand that you have to find two outlets, one on each of the two 120V lines coming into the breaker box for this to work. It seems reasonably safe to merge two 15A lines into one 20A line, and that should let you upgrade from a 12A charger to a 16A charger, without having to install a new outlet. Anyone here have any experience with one?

I've never heard of such a product, but you'd also want to ensure that the two outlets are on different phases in the breaker panel. As to using a 16A charger, you can likely just swap whatever outlet you have to a 20A breaker circuit, even on GFCI.

Back