admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:53 pm

2020 Kia e-Soul Battery and Performance details

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 am

Image

Image

Image

Image


gday
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:03 am

Re: 2020 Kia e-Soul Battery and Performance details

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:17 am

I did a 300km round trip (150 slightly downhill and 150 uphill) and I used AC for at least 60% of the total time. My extrapolated range was 490km. The range at 100% was showing as 505km so I am fairly confident that I could reach 500km on a full charge. The cost in Ontario at the cheapest charging rate was 0.008 per km so less than a penny. Driving it was great fun and the pickup on the highway is excellent for me. Felt very solid and stable. Range anxiety has been diminished for me for sure.

ksoul2084
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am

Re: 2020 Kia e-Soul Battery and Performance details

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:27 am

gday wrote:I did a 300km round trip (150 slightly downhill and 150 uphill) and I used AC for at least 60% of the total time. My extrapolated range was 490km. The range at 100% was showing as 505km so I am fairly confident that I could reach 500km on a full charge. The cost in Ontario at the cheapest charging rate was 0.008 per km so less than a penny. Driving it was great fun and the pickup on the highway is excellent for me. Felt very solid and stable. Range anxiety has been diminished for me for sure.


Sounds fantastic!

It really seems that KIA has nailed the requirements for an EV that most people could adopt tomorrow without range concerns at all, and without sacrificing performance, ability to cruise at typical highway speeds, etc.

Now they just need to make them a lot more readily available and ideally lower the price some. :)

gday
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:03 am

Re: 2020 Kia e-Soul Battery and Performance details

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:49 am

Agreed 100% re. the price and availability ksoul2084. I still feel the car manufacturers are in a REAL bind. Their dealerships are going to be hit if they move to electrics fast and the cars they have just released e.g. Telluride have obviously been in the works for years with expected sales for many years. Move to electrics fast and you shoot yourself in both feet! Move too slow and you lose market share. I feel Kia has hit a great balance in the 2020 Soul but demand is easily outstripping supply right now - hence the high prices - little real competition does not help either.

Add the issue re. a battery shortage as auto makers develop the cars and you have a recipe for chaos I think. Of course they could have seen this coming but I bet pollsters guessed wrong!

This video about the batteries is a bit academic at times and wordy but gives the best overall view of the industry I have seen to-date.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0RCZVY9Dvk&t=2342s&fbclid=IwAR0f5DFuNm4KuMHVBOUdXkYAHJtgIbgewRs5HRdS-zjxh6fXS15H8j559BU

I certainly feel one of the fortunate ones - luck more than skill! :-)

verneamanda
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Re: 2020 Kia e-Soul Battery and Performance details

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:33 pm

I think I got these links from elsewhere on this site, but here they are again (for those who also want to know more about batteries and 2020 Soul EV especially)

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/art ... t_chargers
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/art ... ic_vehicle

https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/20/exc ... nt-design/
https://electricrevs.com/2019/05/31/rep ... n-q3-2019/

MassDeduction
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Re: 2020 Kia e-Soul Battery and Performance details

Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:14 am

Neither Kia Canada's website, nor Wikipedia, appears to indicate the Ah rating of the 2020 Kia Soul EV's battery. The 2019 and earlier models were 42.36 Ah. Can anyone confirm what the 2020's is?

MassDeduction
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Re: 2020 Kia e-Soul Battery and Performance details

Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:38 am

MassDeduction wrote:Neither Kia Canada's website, nor Wikipedia, appears to indicate the Ah rating of the 2020 Kia Soul EV's battery. The 2019 and earlier models were 42.36 Ah. Can anyone confirm what the 2020's is?


I can't find the Ah stat for the batteries for the e-Niro or the Kona electric either, which I thought to look up because all three of these use the same platform. What a frustration. I want to get a level 2 charger and set it's amperage to 25% of the Ah rating, which is the highest safe charge rate. How am I to do that when I can't find the stat? Time to ask the Kia dealership and hope that they know (or can find out for me).

gday
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:03 am

Re: 2020 Kia e-Soul Battery and Performance details

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:02 pm

I found this on:
https://insideevs.com/reviews/439254/20 ... utogefuhl/

"64 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery (180 Ah of capacity and 356 V of nominal voltage, 170 kW power output)"

MassDeduction
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Re: 2020 Kia e-Soul Battery and Performance details

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:12 pm

gday wrote:I found this on:
https://insideevs.com/reviews/439254/20 ... utogefuhl/

"64 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery (180 Ah of capacity and 356 V of nominal voltage, 170 kW power output)"


Thanks so much for that. 25% of that would let you charge at up to 45 amp without any fast-charging degradation. Awesome news!

Return to “Batteries and Charging”