In Summer it's best to park in the shade.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JejuSoul

-
My recommendation for the summer. Keep cool by parking in the shade.

Especially if you need to charge.

Looks like you might be in Phoenix. I just bought a 2017 and I live in Phoenix and I'd love to talk to someone else in the desert about their battery life.

-
No. I live in Jeju, South Korea. It is hot here in summer, but nothing like the daytime Phoenix temperatures.
For your battery to last you need to keep the battery temperatures below 45C.
In summer the black asphalt road surface can easily heat up above this on a hot summer day.
For this reason I suggest parking in shade.

You ask about a carport that gets afternoon sun.
That is probably good shade.

For more info about Phoenix - Arizona SOUL EV Heat testing

JejuSoul said:
-
No. I live in Jeju, South Korea. It is hot here in summer, but nothing like the daytime Phoenix temperatures.
In summer the black asphalt road surface can easily heat up above this on a hot summer day.

[...]
I live in a climate that's generally cool in the winter and warm in the summer. It's rarely hot, and it's rarely cold. Of course these things are subjective, so here's something objective: average temperatures here in July and August are 13°C (55°F) overnight low and 23°C (74°F) daytime high. I wonder how much value, if any, we would get from shade parking in such temperatures? I ask because it'll mean constructing a carport, so I'm trying to do a cost/benefit analysis on that.

MassDeduction said:
JejuSoul said:
-

[...]
I live in a climate that's generally cool in the winter and warm in the summer. It's rarely hot, and it's rarely cold. Of course these things are subjective, so here's something objective: average temperatures here in July and August are 13°C (55°F) overnight low and 23°C (74°F) daytime high. I wonder how much value, if any, we would get from shade parking in such temperatures? I ask because it'll mean constructing a carport, so I'm trying to do a cost/benefit analysis on that.

Those temps are very mild, I wouldn't worry at all about leaving the car in the sun there. :)

Back