Resolved: Heat pump stopped working after climate software update SA427, fixed via Kia Service Action 210031

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IanL said:
I have a suggestion to make. I think the HVAC software has some "unwanted features". I have noticed that it doesn't always do what it should when I press buttons, and I have got it to behave, eventually, by pressing the AUTO button several times. Why that should be, I have no idea. Anyway, the suggestion is to try pressing the AUTO button multiple times, to see whether the heat pump responds.

Could be a cheap fix ;)

Thanks for the advice. I tried it today but unfortunately it did not work.

On a different note.. My backhatch failed to open when the handle /button was actuated, starting this last Friday afternoon (nothing from the key fob either).
I finally had some time to inspect it today and tore a bit of the car apart trying to find the fault. Turned out to be a broken wire between the hatch and the rest of the chassis. Almost a perfect looking cut.

Could someone please let me know how to include images directly in my post? I'd like to post it in the the technical category under a separate thread. Did some checking and looks like a few others with gasoline powered Souls have had similar issues.

Oh, well, worth a try.

For images, you have to host the image somewhere on the web. I use IMGUR - it's free.

Click the Img button above the reply text window, and it will place two bracketed fields in the text. Paste the URL of the image between the bracketed fields. If you hover over the button, it gives an example.

We have become aware of this issue in Norway as well. Someone on the Norwegian Facebook owners group tested this extensively, and it appears that since the last BMS/parking brake update the heat pump does not turn on below 15c on the 27kwh cars. Many people, including me, have confirmed that the heat pump doesn’t work in cold weather.

-
NorSoul thanks for the info. Please keep us informed on this.
The culprit in this case now seems to be confirmed.
There is likely a fault in their software update.
I would advise anyone in cold counties to refuse the following update.

SA427 PSEV BMS/FATC Logic Improvement

More details at BMS software update

Hi NorSoul and Jeju,

Thanks for the update. I've stepped back from this issue for a bit, because I was so irritated that Kia messed up the car and refused to acknowledge it.

Now that we have further confirmation, is there any way we can have them address the damage they have caused to our vehicles? Ideally, they'd issue an update and fix the software. Not sure how to prompt that, as kia Canada was 100% not interested in helping there.

I have to check on the time limits to take them to court, as I am seriously considering that option, all things considered.

Perhaps JejuSoul could supply an address for the parent company in Korea? I suspect the Canadian company has decided to hush it up, but if that's an independent decision, not dictated by the parent company, such an approach could unstick things. No harm in mentioning you are contemplating legal action.

Kia Norway is aware of the issue and have reported it to headquarters. No fix yet, we have to wait for a new software update.

NorSoul said:
Kia Norway is aware of the issue and have reported it to headquarters. No fix yet, we have to wait for a new software update.

Well, here's to hoping that HQ addresses the bug and rolls out a revision asap.

Do you have any documents that indicate an acknowledgement of the software being the cause of the no heat pump operation? Such as a service visit report? As I noted in my earlier posts, the dealers here simply checked that heat comes out of the vents when heat is turned on, and made zero attempt to discern whether the heat was generated from the PTC vs heat pump.

I pointed this out to them during the 'tests' and actively attempted to show them a lack of compressor operation, no activity from the radiator fan, and a cold compressor discharge line. It was like trying to explain these things to a block of cement (blank stares).

It was MADDENING.

2016Electric said:
NorSoul said:

Well, here's to hoping that HQ addresses the bug and rolls out a revision asap.

Do you have any documents that indicate an acknowledgement of the software being the cause of the no heat pump operation? Such as a service visit report? As I noted in my earlier posts, the dealers here simply checked that heat comes out of the vents when heat is turned on, and made zero attempt to discern whether the heat was generated from the PTC vs heat pump.

I pointed this out to them during the 'tests' and actively attempted to show them a lack of compressor operation, no activity from the radiator fan, and a cold compressor discharge line. It was like trying to explain these things to a block of cement (blank stares).

It was MADDENING.

No, I haven’t been in contact with KIA myself, but they have confirmed this on mail to other people on the Facebook group. I have a appointment next Thursday to check this, but Kia dealers in Norway never give written confirmations on warranty work. At least to my knowledge, I’ve asked my dealer before.

Have you tried contacting KIA Canada HQ about this? Maybe they are aware of the issue.

A little update. Dealer tried a fix, but it unfortunately didn’t work. I think it was a new SW update, but not 100% sure.

Anyway the message they got from Kia Norway was that they were working hard on a solution, so both Kia and the dealer acknowledges the issue. But I got nothing in writing as usual.

NorSoul said:
A little update. Dealer tried a fix, but it unfortunately didn’t work. I think it was a new SW update, but not 100% sure.

Anyway the message they got from Kia Norway was that they were working hard on a solution, so both Kia and the dealer acknowledges the issue. But I got nothing in writing as usual.

Wow ok, thanks for the update. Hopefully they find a resolution soon.

Hey, I have an idea... Roll the software back to the actual working version! :roll:

NorSoul said:

Please do keep us in the loop. Living in Canada, the heat pump was the reason I went up the trim level as it wasn't on the base model.

2016Electric said:
NorSoul said:

Wow ok, thanks for the update. Hopefully they find a resolution soon.

Hey, I have an idea... Roll the software back to the actual working version! :roll:

They say they can’t roll back. I suspect it’s because they updated the BMS, and they have done something to increase the SOH. Mine went from 64% to 71% after the update, unfortunately for me that meant no battery replacement yet.

notfred said:
NorSoul said:

Please do keep us in the loop. Living in Canada, the heat pump was the reason I went up the trim level as it wasn't on the base model.

I will. We’ve had some somewhat cold days in southern Norway lately, and the car is as thirsty as a E-Tron. Not fun when paired with a heavily degraded battery.

NorSoul said:
notfred said:
NorSoul said:

I will. We’ve had some somewhat cold days in southern Norway lately, and the car is as thirsty as a E-Tron. Not fun when paired with a heavily degraded battery.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. It's nice to finally have some confirmation that others are experiencing the same issue.

My dealer did some test on my car Today and confirm heatpump does work but only over 15 degC. No big surprise since I did the same in my garage few weeks ago, after reading this thread. They have collected data for further analysis by KIa .

Fairly big dealer near Montreal, but first time that problm was mentionned. I should receive copy of email from preliminary analasys from Eng from KIA. Actually beside high power consumption car heats up quick and is quieter than normal. But after 5 canadian winter, it was too quiet so something was not working well.

When I picked my key, tehnical advisor told me a second car was in Today for BMS update and they noticed heatpump was not operating after update. I guess it speaks by itself. Now KIA Canada knows about it. Let's wait and see.

YpinEV said:
My dealer did some test on my car Today and confirm heatpump does work but only over 15 degC. No big surprise since I did the same in my garage few weeks ago, after reading this thread. They have collected data for further analysis by KIa .

Fairly big dealer near Montreal, but first time that problm was mentionned. I should receive copy of email from preliminary analasys from Eng from KIA. Actually beside high power consumption car heats up quick and is quieter than normal. But after 5 canadian winter, it was too quiet so something was not working well.

When I picked my key, tehnical advisor told me a second car was in Today for BMS update and they noticed heatpump was not operating after update. I guess it speaks by itself. Now KIA Canada knows about it. Let's wait and see.

Thanks so much for the update. I'm really hoping this thread has helped everyone else out re the heat pump issue. Hopefully we can get enough momentum going to ensure Kia resolves this major issue... It seems there are quite a few of us!

YpinEV said:

I life in the Netherlands and with the temperatures around 0 degrees Celcius, my heatpump is just working as expected, although I had the software update on my Kia Soul EV of 2014: BMS software update.

So it looks like there is something different with the software update in Canada.

What I noticed is that after fast charging, sometimes the Airco and Heat led are automatically activated at the same time for a short period of time just after driving away, although it was very cold outside. The temperatures of the batteries are however more than 40 degrees Celcius at the end after 3 short fast charging sessions within 2 hours (30% till 80%) and also the fan in de trunk is activated and gets more and more rpm.

ZuinigeRijder said:
What I noticed is that after fast charging, sometimes the Airco and Heat led are automatically activated at the same time for a short period of time just after driving away, although it was very cold outside.,,,,,

I have seen the same thing when the system is in AUTO. I think that the system has a interior humidity detector, and will automatically apply aircon if the value is over a threshold, irrespective of temperature, to dry the air.

Humidity detector is the lump behind the rear view mirror. You can see if it is in auto defog if you press the Climate button to bring up the climate modes on the screen.

Back