2016Electric

Re: Heat pump stopped working, no apparent cause

Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:05 pm

IanL wrote:I have a suggestion to make. I think the HVAC software has some "unwanted features". I have noticed that it doesn't always do what it should when I press buttons, and I have got it to behave, eventually, by pressing the AUTO button several times. Why that should be, I have no idea. Anyway, the suggestion is to try pressing the AUTO button multiple times, to see whether the heat pump responds.

Could be a cheap fix ;)

Thanks for the advice. I tried it today but unfortunately it did not work.

On a different note.. My backhatch failed to open when the handle /button was actuated, starting this last Friday afternoon (nothing from the key fob either).
I finally had some time to inspect it today and tore a bit of the car apart trying to find the fault. Turned out to be a broken wire between the hatch and the rest of the chassis. Almost a perfect looking cut.

Could someone please let me know how to include images directly in my post? I'd like to post it in the the technical category under a separate thread. Did some checking and looks like a few others with gasoline powered Souls have had similar issues.

IanL

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:37 pm

Oh, well, worth a try.

For images, you have to host the image somewhere on the web. I use IMGUR - it's free.

Click the Img button above the reply text window, and it will place two bracketed fields in the text. Paste the URL of the image between the bracketed fields. If you hover over the button, it gives an example.

NorSoul

Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:06 am

We have become aware of this issue in Norway as well. Someone on the Norwegian Facebook owners group tested this extensively, and it appears that since the last BMS/parking brake update the heat pump does not turn on below 15c on the 27kwh cars. Many people, including me, have confirmed that the heat pump doesn’t work in cold weather.

JejuSoul

Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:08 am

-
NorSoul thanks for the info. Please keep us informed on this.
The culprit in this case now seems to be confirmed.
There is likely a fault in their software update.
I would advise anyone in cold counties to refuse the following update.

SA427 PSEV BMS/FATC Logic Improvement

More details at BMS software update
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

2016Electric

Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi NorSoul and Jeju,

Thanks for the update. I've stepped back from this issue for a bit, because I was so irritated that Kia messed up the car and refused to acknowledge it.

Now that we have further confirmation, is there any way we can have them address the damage they have caused to our vehicles? Ideally, they'd issue an update and fix the software. Not sure how to prompt that, as kia Canada was 100% not interested in helping there.

I have to check on the time limits to take them to court, as I am seriously considering that option, all things considered.

IanL

Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:09 am

Perhaps JejuSoul could supply an address for the parent company in Korea? I suspect the Canadian company has decided to hush it up, but if that's an independent decision, not dictated by the parent company, such an approach could unstick things. No harm in mentioning you are contemplating legal action.

NorSoul

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:06 am

Kia Norway is aware of the issue and have reported it to headquarters. No fix yet, we have to wait for a new software update.

2016Electric

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 am

NorSoul wrote:Kia Norway is aware of the issue and have reported it to headquarters. No fix yet, we have to wait for a new software update.

Well, here's to hoping that HQ addresses the bug and rolls out a revision asap.

Do you have any documents that indicate an acknowledgement of the software being the cause of the no heat pump operation? Such as a service visit report? As I noted in my earlier posts, the dealers here simply checked that heat comes out of the vents when heat is turned on, and made zero attempt to discern whether the heat was generated from the PTC vs heat pump.

I pointed this out to them during the 'tests' and actively attempted to show them a lack of compressor operation, no activity from the radiator fan, and a cold compressor discharge line. It was like trying to explain these things to a block of cement (blank stares).

It was MADDENING.

NorSoul

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:19 pm

2016Electric wrote:
NorSoul wrote:Kia Norway is aware of the issue and have reported it to headquarters. No fix yet, we have to wait for a new software update.

Well, here's to hoping that HQ addresses the bug and rolls out a revision asap.

Do you have any documents that indicate an acknowledgement of the software being the cause of the no heat pump operation? Such as a service visit report? As I noted in my earlier posts, the dealers here simply checked that heat comes out of the vents when heat is turned on, and made zero attempt to discern whether the heat was generated from the PTC vs heat pump.

I pointed this out to them during the 'tests' and actively attempted to show them a lack of compressor operation, no activity from the radiator fan, and a cold compressor discharge line. It was like trying to explain these things to a block of cement (blank stares).

It was MADDENING.

No, I haven’t been in contact with KIA myself, but they have confirmed this on mail to other people on the Facebook group. I have a appointment next Thursday to check this, but Kia dealers in Norway never give written confirmations on warranty work. At least to my knowledge, I’ve asked my dealer before.

Have you tried contacting KIA Canada HQ about this? Maybe they are aware of the issue.

Return to “Technical Discussions”