Att: Toronto Owners: Home Charging Station

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and can't seem to find an answer to my question.

Can anyone in the GTA (Toronto) advise the prices they paid to install their home charging station?

I'm interested in an EV but wanted to get an idea (and maybe some references) on charging station install costs.

Thanks in advance.

A Home charger comes with the Kia Soul EV
I understand that it is a Bosch unit at 30 amps. I have not received mine yet
I already have a home charger for our Leaf - A Canadian SunCountry Highway 40 Amp unit. It was $799 plus $150 to install (Panel was nearby)

Check to ensure that your electrical panel can take another 220 Volt circuit or have an electrician determine if existing circuits can be shuffled to get another 220 V dedicated circuit for EV charging

I would suggest a 40 Amp unit. This would get you a continuous 32 Amp charge at 220 Volts or max 7 kW (closer to the 6.6 kW max Level 2 charge rate for the Kia or Leaf)

Home charger costs are be coming down. In the USA, they are now less than $500.

JimGord said:
I already have a home charger for our Leaf - A Canadian SunCountry Highway 40 Amp unit. It was $799 plus $150 to install (Panel was nearby)

Check to ensure that your electrical panel can take another 220 Volt circuit or have an electrician determine if existing circuits can be shuffled to get another 220 V dedicated circuit for EV charging

I would suggest a 40 Amp unit. This would get you a continuous 32 Amp charge at 220 Volts or max 7 kW (closer to the 6.6 kW max Level 2 charge rate for the Kia or Leaf)

Home charger costs are be coming down. In the USA, they are now less than $500.

Thanks Jim. Kia really gives you a home charging unit? That would be great news. I was looking at the same SunCountry unit you have, just as a future-proofed unit.

Do you still have your Leaf? or did you trade for a Soul EV?

JimGord said:
no, just the base 16A model. http://www.pluginnow.com/ca/content/power-max%E2%84%A2-16a-12-cord

You need to pay shipping & handling (~$70) + sales tax.

The cost of installation will depend a great deal on the distance between the breaker panel and the location of the charger. The wire (8/3) is rather expensive. In addition, it depends a great deal on the obstacles between the breaker panel and the charger too. I installed my own charger, but I am experienced in electrical installations and wiring. I think I spent around $100 for wire, breaker, and conduit ... but my charger is also approx 6' directly above my breaker panel. In general, I would not recommend doing the installation yourself - with the high power flowing through the wire, there is a very real risk of fire due to an incorrect installation ... the wire get warm, and if kinked or bent too tight could get rather hot.

The rebate from the Ontario Gov. doesn't apply to the Bosh charger. I don't know if others have gotten any of the up to $500 installation rebate.

irfca said:
The cost of installation will depend a great deal on the distance between the breaker panel and the location of the charger. The wire (8/3) is rather expensive. In addition, it depends a great deal on the obstacles between the breaker panel and the charger too. I installed my own charger, but I am experienced in electrical installations and wiring. I think I spent around $100 for wire, breaker, and conduit ... but my charger is also approx 6' directly above my breaker panel. In general, I would not recommend doing the installation yourself - with the high power flowing through the wire, there is a very real risk of fire due to an incorrect installation ... the wire get warm, and if kinked or bent too tight could get rather hot.

The rebate from the Ontario Gov. doesn't apply to the Bosh charger. I don't know if others have gotten any of the up to $500 installation rebate.

Thanks for that info irfca. I just looked at the list of units eligible for the ON rebate and it's a shame the BOSH units aren't covered.

Back