Leaving fully charged for several days

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gshurley

I read somewhere on here (could not find in the manual) that it is not good to leave my soul fully charged for several days. Is this true?

Most weeks I only drive 1-2 times, so if I leave it fully charged it will be that way for days until I drive it again.

In your situation I would suggest setting your charge timer for 80% charging and only override it when you know you'll need 100%, either through the mobile app or by depressing the dashboard charge timer override an hour or two before departing.

Lithium-Ion batteries last longest when resting as close to 50% SOC as possible. The Soul's battery pack is actually 30.5 kWh in capacity, and we're only allowed 27 kWh to use, so even when displaying a full charge there's a buffer remaining. Even so, based on what you've said, I'd use the 80% charge timer to keep it off of 100% most of the time.

Yes, good advice to charge to 80% unless need range and avoid as much as possible leaving it fully charged.
Too bad that there is not a way to set the maximum (manual) charge to 80% like you used to be able to do in the pre-2015 Leaf.

JimGord said:
Yes, good advice to charge to 80% unless need range and avoid as much as possible leaving it fully charged.
Too bad that there is not a way to set the maximum (manual) charge to 80% like you used to be able to do in the pre-2015 Leaf.
I've done that via the rather awkward method of adjusting the charge time to start at the next nearest 10 minute interval ... usually when I arrive home at night, after my 10:30pm 80% charge start time ... otherwise my 5:30am charge to 100% would run well into high-priced power time!

Are you guys aware that once you log into the mobile app, if you click the "gear" icon in the upper right of the screen it will allow you select an 80% or 100% charge?

Then returning to the main screen and initiating a charge it will follow the instruction until the preferences are changed again. It took me forever to figure out why my car was only going to 80% when I started a charge with the app until I realized this.

It's a good workaround to an 80% charge preference if you're not home when the charge timer would usually start things on its own.

mtndrew1 said:
Are you guys aware that once you log into the mobile app, if you click the "gear" icon in the upper right of the screen it will allow you select an 80% or 100% charge?

Then returning to the main screen and initiating a charge it will follow the instruction until the preferences are changed again. It took me forever to figure out why my car was only going to 80% when I started a charge with the app until I realized this.

It's a good workaround to an 80% charge preference if you're not home when the charge timer would usually start things on its own.

So if I use the app and set it to 80% and start a charge, will it then use 80% for the times when I just plug it in and it starts charging? I don't have different charging rates so I normally just let it start charging when I get home and plug it in but from what I've read and heard from other it's better to only go to 80% unless needed.

EV2016 said:
mtndrew1 said:

So if I use the app and set it to 80% and start a charge, will it then use 80% for the times when I just plug it in and it starts charging? I don't have different charging rates so I normally just let it start charging when I get home and plug it in but from what I've read and heard from other it's better to only go to 80% unless needed.

No, only for charges initiated from the app. Otherwise the car will charge to 100% if plugged in with no charge timer.

Even if you don't have different electric rates on TOU, it's fine to use the charge timer, and that way you can get most of your charges at 80%. Just have it start charging at 1 AM or something every morning (some time after you're guaranteed to be home every night) and have set to 80%. If you ever need to get a full charge you can just push the timer override button on the dash (next to the charge door release button) or use the app (make sure it's at 100%!).

Back