What is the cost of DC Quick Charging in your area?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EV2016

I live in a more rural area North of Seattle. There are actually quite a few chargers around, some free and some not, but not a lot of them offer quick charging. Some of the ones that do offer two ways of paying. You can get a monthly subscription for $20 a month or pay each visit which is $7.95, regardless of how long you actually use the charger. So if you just want to top it off before a long stretch and need a 15 minute charge to get you to 80% it still costs you almost $8. After the 60 month free period, the chargers that use the nrg Evo card costs $4.95 PLUS .02 cents per minute. That can add up fast for a 30 minute charge. Is charging more affordable in other places/states? I haven't used a quick charger yet since I charge at home each night, but I'd like to take the Soul a little farther than we did with the Focus because it didn't have the DC port. (One of the reasons we didn't lease another one). I'm hoping it's more affordable other places and will come down once there are more chargers.

The DCFC plans are expensive here as well and pretty much all are on the EVgo network.

There's basically two plans. One is $4.95 per session and 20 cents per minute. Other plan is 10 cents a minute but there is a fixed monthly subscription fee of $14.95.

In Toronto, we currently only have 4 quick chargers - 1 @ Nissan, 1 @ Mitsubishi (both free, but at least that Nissan one is restricted use), and there are 2 public DCQC, one an experimental install that is free, and the other is the first commercial DCQC in Ontario that is free until Sept, when they plan on charging $2 / 15 minutes. I have been told there are plans for up to 5 additional DCQC around the GTA over the next year or so, and at the Hwy 401 EnRoute stops ... but until they are installed, we won't know the cost.

sweetwagon said:
The DCFC plans are expensive here as well and pretty much all are on the EVgo network.

There's basically two plans. One is $4.95 per session and 20 cents per minute. Other plan is 10 cents a minute but there is a fixed monthly subscription fee of $14.95.

The eVgo network has allowed me to really do some traveling in the Soul. It's very expensive but it's also been very reliable in my experience with any issues immediately reflected on Plugshare.

I really hope they electrify LA to Vegas, LA to Phoenix, and Mexico to Oregon. I'd utilize all those routes.

British Columbia
Many Fast DC chargers are still free (limited period). The ones that do charge are 35 cents per kWh

Here in the UK Ecotricity (a green electric company) have installed fast chargers in all the motorway service stations, and quite a few other places. They are currently free but they will start charging fairly soon, I think. No idea what the cost will be, but reasonable hopefully.

I just paid 25p (about 40 US cents) per kWh on a ChargeYourCar fast charger. Pretty nice experience overall - came off the motorway, parked in a charming English market town, bought a decent coffee, and was 83% charged up and ready to go!

jcallan said:
Here in the UK Ecotricity (a green electric company) have installed fast chargers in all the motorway service stations, and quite a few other places. They are currently free but they will start charging fairly soon, I think. No idea what the cost will be, but reasonable hopefully.

I just paid 25p (about 40 US cents) per kWh on a ChargeYourCar fast charger. Pretty nice experience overall - came off the motorway, parked in a charming English market town, bought a decent coffee, and was 83% charged up and ready to go!

That's the way is should be.

In addition to the AV chargers mentioned there are Blink chargers around the Portland, OR and Seattle, WA area which are $0.49/kWh for the quick chargers if you have a Blink membership. For my use I much prefer the $19.99/mo membership fee of the AV network since 3 charges at an AV charger is more than the monthly fee. With the blink network it doesn't take long to burn through $20.

i read that consistently using quick chargers is bad for the battery.....what is the consensus?

irfca said:
In Toronto, we currently only have 4 quick chargers - 1 @ Nissan, 1 @ Mitsubishi (both free, but at least that Nissan one is restricted use), and there are 2 public DCQC, one an experimental install that is free, and the other is the first commercial DCQC in Ontario that is free until Sept, when they plan on charging $2 / 15 minutes. I have been told there are plans for up to 5 additional DCQC around the GTA over the next year or so, and at the Hwy 401 EnRoute stops ... but until they are installed, we won't know the cost.

Is the commercial DCQC you mention the one at PowerStream? I used that one the first day we got our Soul EV since we hadn't received our Lvl 2 charger for home yet (didn't wanna wait forever to be able to drive it around, and the dealer only had it with half a charge when we picked it up). I'd be disappointed if they started charging for charging there (saying that is gonna take some getting used to...).

DarthNick said:
Is the commercial DCQC you mention the one at PowerStream? I used that one the first day we got our Soul EV since we hadn't received our Lvl 2 charger for home yet (didn't wanna wait forever to be able to drive it around, and the dealer only had it with half a charge when we picked it up). I'd be disappointed if they started charging for charging there (saying that is gonna take some getting used to...).
The PowerStream charger in Vaughan is experimental. The new charger at the Markham City Center (Hwy 7 & Warden) is the first commercial DCQC charger.

ken said:
i read that consistently using quick chargers is bad for the battery.....what is the consensus?

There is evidence that quick charging shortens the life of the battery slightly and the degradation varies depending on the battery type and temperature. Slow charging with the battery at a high temperature is worse than quick charging at the same temperature due to the reactions taking place during charging.

Performance KIA in South Everett, Washington is where I purchased my EV, they offered me free charging for the life I own the Soul at their dealership. They have a 480 volt fast charge. I can charge from 9% to 83% in 20 min. It's a perk that sold me on the deal as they are close to my home.

GizmoEV said:
ken said:

There is evidence that quick charging shortens the life of the battery slightly and the degradation varies depending on the battery type and temperature. Slow charging with the battery at a high temperature is worse than quick charging at the same temperature due to the reactions taking place during charging.

Here's the study of L2 vs DCFC which shows that the capacity of the battery is not affected by the charging method as much as by ambient (i.e. hot) temperature.

...back to the original question, the San Francisco Bay Area has Blink and NRG evgo for quick charging. Blink is 0.59/kwh for members or 0.69 for non-members, and NRG is based on membership ($4.95/session+0.20/min or $15/month+0.10/min). There's a Greenlots DCFC going up near my place, and they're going to ask for $7/session. ...and Facebook headquarters offers DCFC charging for free.

In other words, it's all over the frickin' place.

kiastormtrooper said:
In other words, it's all over the frickin' place.
Yes - the same came be said here, in Jeju Island. We have at least 3 competing networks.
The government run system is free. It is busy. Waits are frequent.
BMW charges 25 USD / month. (30,000KRW) . It is unlikely you will have to wait.
SK Innovation charges 0.76USD / kWh (904KRW). It is unusual to ever see someone charging here.

All 3 networks have a lot of chargers, all are triple socket, and they are often sited very close to each other.
My car's navigation only includes the government chargers.

Back