Winter Tires and Rims

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone investigated the best options for winter tires and rims? I've been offered a great set that a friend used for two weeks before trading in his Lexus. Just not sure of it's the best option for us.

They are Avalanche Extreme tires on the Lexus OEM 15" rims lug 4.5 inch or 114.3mm High Positive Offset (the offset is 42 just below the 45-54 range recommended) but I can't find a rim weight. The rims are mint condition and the tires have less than 1000km on them. Unfortunately no TPMS.

Anyone have any thoughts?

You need rim with TPMS or else your dashboard will always have the TPMS light on.

Tires: as long as they are the same size as stock: P205/60R16

So I'd pass on your friend's offer if I were you.

fanbanlo said:
You need rim with TPMS or else your dashboard will always have the TPMS light on.

Tires: as long as they are the same size as stock: P205/60R16

So I'd pass on your friend's offer if I were you.

Called the dealership, they said you can't use ANYTHING but the factory rims or risk range issues etc (as other posts in the forum show, that is not the case). The factory Rims btw are over $900 each the TPMS sensor $154 each and they said the only tire you should use it the Yokohama Ice Guard IG52C reasonably priced at $146 per tire. Or they swap out the tires on the one set of rims twice a year for $105.00. The opinions vary greatly. Does anyone know the weight of the factory rim?

The TPMS can be added to the other rims they gave me the part number found on Ebay for $152.63 for the set of 4.

ourmuskokalife said:
Called the dealership, they said you can't use ANYTHING but the factory rims or risk range issues etc (as other posts in the forum show, that is not the case). The factory Rims btw are over $900 each the TPMS sensor $154 each...

That's pretty standard dealer speak whenever you ask about adding aftermarket parts to your car. Feel free to translate that as 'we want you to spend your money only with us.'

For the OP, another thing you need to check when using wheels from another vehicle is centerbore (the hole in the back side of the wheel that centers it properly on the axle hub). If the centerbore on the wheels is too small, you won't be able to mount the wheels; too large, and you need to add centering rings to avoid annoying wheel vibrations.

ourmuskokalife said:
the only tire you should use it the Yokohama Ice Guard IG52C
Interesting ... when I had hope last Nov/Dec of receiving my car, I had gone ahead and ordered a standard set of Kia Soul steel (winter) rims through Canadian Tire, and set of 4 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires, which, from what I could tell, were there only SLRR winter tires I could find (based on "Fuel Economy" metric showing 100%). I seem to recall my Kia Dealership indicating that was the set of tires they would sell me too. Personally, I've found the XIce tires to be extremely good, and are by far my preferred tire.

I had also been looking into using alloy rims (trying to find something lighter), but Canadian Tire strongly recommended against that for winter driving. I'll likely go with the standard steel rims and XIce-3 this fall.

I just bought some used winter tires on rims that were 114.3mm High Positive Offset. The rims fit the wheel fine but I guess the offset wasn't high enough because the rims touched the inside of the wheel. So I'm looking at trying something else and this time I'll confirm that the offset is in the 45-54 range. I just wanted to confirm on the forum here that the offset was likely the issue and not something else. Does anyone have any advice to share on this?

Thanks!

Back