Soul Spy?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah OK. I was hoping that there might be a list of CAN PIDs on there as well.

I'm not sure it is going to be that simple to pull the PIDs from just simply sniffing the bus as I suspect the individual battery voltages would not be sent on the bus normally, just an overall state of charge from the BMS to the other CPUs and it would only be with the diagnostic software that the PIDs were sent. It would be great to sniff the bus when the Kia Diagnostic software was plugged in, that would make it a lot easier!

Looking thorough the service manual I find references to 3 CAN systems. The first two are the ones we can connect to from inside the car. The third is presumably connected from under the hood. All 3 are connected to cluster. (display screen in front of the driver)

Chassis CAN or C Can is the main one. It seems to connect to everything.
Multimedia CAN or M CAN It connects to the speakers and amp. There is no mention of UVO systems at all in the service manual. Must be another manual.
Body CAN or B CAN. Contains the functions for starting the car. It connects the BCM (Body Control Module) to the BMS (Battery Management System) and SMK (Smart Key)

I have found no reference to an H CAN. Doesn't mean it is not there because I do not have all the manuals.

Sorry for the rather big image, this is pages 1-7 from the Data Link Details section of the ETM (electrical) manual from KiaTechInfo. You'll see how the different buses are connected (high-level), this is rather interesting to see what is connected to which bus. Page 6 is the OBD2 connector.

JejuSoul : H-CAN is on page 5. I was looking for UVO too, never saw any mention too. I guess it is internal to the A/V unit, which we don't have any info on except on the connector level. Here in Canada, we don't have UVO.

ETM-DataLinkDetails1-7.png

SiLiZiUMM said:
I borrowed an OBD Bluetooth device last Friday from a colleague just to quickly check what I could see on the bus. I had no much time on hand, but the reader was able to see 2 ECUs.

Unfortunately I cannot continue for a while because we had an accident on Tuesday with the Soul (rear end impact) :( The car was only 4 weeks old. As we had to wait forever to get the car, we will probably have to wait forever to have it repaired!

edzee3: I would be probably interested in those manuals as well. Is it the same info that can be found on http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ ?

Sorry to hear of your accident. I hope everyone was ok...
I'm curious - how did the car hold up? I've wondered how the Soul would perform in a rear impact scenario given it is quite short. I'm considering this vehicle (the EV) to replace a second car, for use mostly around the city. It would have a car seat or two in the back... we live in the GTA (Toronto) and drivers around here... well... not the greatest.

2016Electric said:
SiLiZiUMM said:
I borrowed an OBD Bluetooth device last Friday from a colleague just to quickly check what I could see on the bus. I had no much time on hand, but the reader was able to see 2 ECUs.

Unfortunately I cannot continue for a while because we had an accident on Tuesday with the Soul (rear end impact) :( The car was only 4 weeks old. As we had to wait forever to get the car, we will probably have to wait forever to have it repaired!

edzee3: I would be probably interested in those manuals as well. Is it the same info that can be found on http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ ?

Sorry to hear of your accident. I hope everyone was ok...
I'm curious - how did the car hold up? I've wondered how the Soul would perform in a rear impact scenario given it is quite short. I'm considering this vehicle (the EV) to replace a second car, for use mostly around the city. It would have a car seat or two in the back... we live in the GTA (Toronto) and drivers around here... well... not the greatest.

The car is very well build, it was my GF driving at that moment and she was fine. She felt safe during the impact. The current problem is the parts availability, it's under repairs since Aug 12 now (accident was on Aug 11). The good thing is that most body parts are the same as on the gas version, but there are small differences that makes the repairs longer for now (the bumper, to name a few). 2 weeks ago, we were told that some electrical harness needed a replacement, and it was BO for 4-5 weeks. Meanwhile, we are still driving a Soul EV (a white one) thanks to EEKO Rentals based in Montreal! All paid by the insurance :mrgreen:

The car is very well build, it was my GF driving at that moment and she was fine. She felt safe during the impact. The current problem is the parts availability, it's under repairs since Aug 12 now (accident was on Aug 11). The good thing is that most body parts are the same as on the gas version, but there are small differences that makes the repairs longer for now (the bumper, to name a few). 2 weeks ago, we were told that some electrical harness needed a replacement, and it was BO for 4-5 weeks. Meanwhile, we are still driving a Soul EV (a white one) thanks to EEKO Rentals based in Montreal! All paid by the insurance :mrgreen:

Glad to hear she is ok (GF) and glad to hear the car held up well. I'm assuming then that there was no intrusion into the back seat area...
BTW, how's the public charging infrastructure in Quebec? Ours around TO is .. fairly under-developed.
I'll be curious to see what kind of range you get over the winter. I'm waiting on some real world info about that before proceeding.

SiLiZiUMM: Thanks for the extra images from the electrical manual. And hope you get you car back soon.

It seems the H Can is the databus for Chademo fast charging. I would have no particular interest in hacking this. But clearly others do.
See this post Quick Charge Power to offer CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging upgrade at https://chargedevs.com/newswire/quick-charge-power-to-offer-chademo-dc-fast-charging-upgrade-for-rav4-ev/

The bottom comment on that page - Please develop this for Kia Soul Ev too I believe us Canucks would love to have these on our base models, luxury just never came out this way!

I have a fantasy of a Chademo jump start cable, connect 2 EVs together and use the power from one to charge the battery of another. Not sure I want to stand next to it while it happens :)

2016Electric said:
Glad to hear she is ok (GF) and glad to hear the car held up well. I'm assuming then that there was no intrusion into the back seat area...
BTW, how's the public charging infrastructure in Quebec? Ours around TO is .. fairly under-developed.
I'll be curious to see what kind of range you get over the winter. I'm waiting on some real world info about that before proceeding.

Indeed, the back seat is 100% correct, the trunk got the impact. I have some pictures here (in french): http://menu-principal-forums-aveq.1097349.n5.nabble.com/Notre-Soul-nous-manque-td32396.html

The public charging infrastructure is really great here, and it's developing very fast! We now something like 30 Level 3 chargers in the province (we have 2 in Quebec City), and a lot of level 2 chargers (over 700 I think). I hope Ottawa would get one soon, my sister lives accross the river (in Gatineau)!

SiLiZiUMM said:
2016Electric said:

Indeed, the back seat is 100% correct, the trunk got the impact. I have some pictures here (in french): http://menu-principal-forums-aveq.1097349.n5.nabble.com/Notre-Soul-nous-manque-td32396.html

The public charging infrastructure is really great here, and it's developing very fast! We now something like 30 Level 3 chargers in the province (we have 2 in Quebec City), and a lot of level 2 chargers (over 700 I think). I hope Ottawa would get one soon, my sister lives accross the river (in Gatineau)!

Yikes! That's a nasty one. The person that hit your car must have been moving quite quickly, or been driving something quite heavy.. Still, glad everyone was ok.
Thanks for the pics though.. they really show how well built this little car is.

Good to know your charging infrastructure in QC is being built out at a good rate... indeed, I hope things work our for some chargers in Ottawa too! Perhaps after October 19th, things will begin to move along ;)
I know of two fast chargers in the area I live, and while they aren't all that far (less than 2 km), the traffic around here is just so horrible that it would probably take at least 30 mins to get to them! Would certainly need a good level 2 charger at home - which seems like a no-brainer to me given how convenient that would be (and not that hard to install either).

I've really got to get out and test drive one of these!

Hey folks,

I just wanted to join in here on the CAN bus discussions. I currently have two LEAFs and use Leaf Spy Pro, but my wife wants to switch to a Soul EV. I'm a software developer and have some experience with Android development, but I don't have much CAN bus experience other than reading some early discussions of when folks were reverse engineering the LEAF.

If we get the Soul EV (probably this weekend), I'd love to learn some CAN stuff and do some reverse engineering to help out this effort.

tractioninc said:
That's excellent! Here's to a good experience at the dealership.

We got it. 2016 Soul EV+ w/Sun & Fun, Titanium Gray.

I have an OBD-II bluetooth adapter that I've used with Leaf Spy... now to find some software I can put on my laptop to start recording the CAN bus messages so I can help reverse engineer it. Any suggestions?

So,
last weekend i made again some traces and found out following:
ID4B0 is the tire rotation speed: 4x 16Bit values (Intel Format). I used factor 0,033 to get km/h.
ID594 byte 5 is a 8Bit SOC value (factor 0,5 for %) (maybe for display)
ID598 byte 4+5 (Intel format) is a precise SOC value. I calculated factor 0,00445 according to SOC.
Some diagrams of the trace are in the German forum: http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/kia-soul-ev/ovms-fuer-den-soul-t9741-10.html#p250271
So i think we have first values to work with...
I also got following status bits:
ID 18 byte 0: doors; byte 3 and byte 5: light, byte 7: seat belt
ID 50 byte 1: wiper & light; byte 2: turn signal & wiper
D 120 central locking system
ID 433 byte 2: Parking break switch status

Example msg:
55D 67 84 46 E1 20 50 00 01
Byte 0 = 67; Byte 7 = 01

This is great.
Being able to collect data for speed and SOC in real time gives a great way to measure performance.

There appears to be an easier way for us do all this.
A company in Hong Kong is selling Kia's complete diagnostic toolkit for 155 USD. (Another 85 USD for the software)
See http://www.adkautodiagnostic.com/v15-gds-vci-for-kia-hyundai-firmware-v202-with-trigger-module-p-2329.html
GDS%20VCI%20FOR%20KIA%20Hyundai%20blue.jpg

The Soul EV is in the list of supported models. Is this too good to be true?
It is the same GDS software that produced the images of battery voltages in the service manual that I posted earlier.

That looks fantastic! A CAN bus monitor in the middle to dump out what it is sending and receiving should tell us everything we need.

Where I am cautious on this is that many of the dealership diagnostic tools want to talk to headquarters to get updates etc and part of that is often authentication and authorisation to run. We would need to know that this will run without being plugged in to the Internet and talking to headquarters and without needing some magic codes that are only handed out to dealers. It's almost at the price point where it would be worth just taking a risk and buying it anyway, especially as there seem to be a whole bunch of useful cables. Any indication from other forums of if someone has bought one of these for other Kia models and it has worked?

The other alternative is someone being friendly enough with a local dealer mechanic to do the CAN bus dump with the diagnostic tool at the dealership.

I have too done some research and found that the diagnostic toolkit mentioned should do the job. If someone is serious about buying this product and put some effort to dump the data and present it here, I am willing to donate some dollars for the purchase. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back